Smoke any ideas

B

blr123

Hi all,

The car is smoking a bit when being driven hard.

As it's my son's car and he's not here to ask at the moment, I'm not sure if it's when changing gear or under hard exceleration or both, anybody any ideas either way[?]

Cheers Bryan

zia

depends what colour smoke is?

black /greyish =running rich,sooty combustion chamber

blue = consuming oil,possible valve stem seals.piston oil ring

white = water in combustion chamber

zia

lord of the "R"

B

blr123

Hi Zia,

Thanks for that, I've just spoken to my son and he says it's just when changing gear and it's blueish/greyish, does this help[?]

Cheers Bryan

M

memski

Could possibly be the seals on the turbo letting go, does it happen often? And is there much smoke? I've had this happen to me twice in the space of 3 years (that I've noticed anyway), and haven't worried too much about it.

B

blr123

Thanks memski,

It happens most of the time but there isn't loads of smoke though.

As for the turbo, I let the car run (idle) for 10mins, the theory being that if smoke appeared during the 10mins that would indicate that the turbo was on the way out, but there wasn't any smoke.

Cheers Bryan

zia

do you have a atmospheric bov? some times this cause the mixture to richen therefore you get black/ greyish smoke on gear change(perhaps)
nothing to worry about really, providing it runs ok.

zia

lord of the "R"

B

blr123

Hi Zia,

It has an atmospheric dump valve, don't know what make but it's very quiet.

So I'm looking to buy a Bailey D/V from 20legacy for a fiver and a packet of cheese & onion[:D]

And the car appears to run OK if a bit rattely.

Cheers Bryan

A

Anonymous

If you have an aftermarket air filter try cleaning it. This can make a huge change to the noise a DV makes as it can now move move air.

Si.

B

blr123

Cheers Si I'll try that, it's going in to be checked over tomorow so I might get them to give it a clean while there at it.

I'm probably still going to buy 20legacy's DV anyway though.

Bryan