slow windows

A

another sunny

is there a simple remidy for slow electric windows...i seem to remember that this is a common fault?

Sunny GTi

They might be running slow because of a lazy motor or tough window rubbers.

I sprayed some WD40 type fluid down the rubbers on mine and it definately improved them, but it would have been better if I'd cleaned away some of the substance that lined the rubber crease beforehand! A type of grease along the edges might last longer than fluid, as the results wern't that long lasting.

stumo

best to clean out the rubbers first then use something like silicone spray to lube them(if needed), best not using any lube if you can get away with it

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
another sunny said:
is there a simple remidy for slow electric windows...i seem to remember that this is a common fault?
Yeah, it is a common fault. The glass seems to bind in the virtical rubber

Get some spray silicon from Halfrauds or somewhere and spray it in the grove of the rubber then just wind the window up and down a few times.

Lasts for a good couple of months ;-)

Steve

stumo

agreed steve but if you can remove the rubbers and clean out thoroughly then that's better

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
stumo said:
agreed steve but if you can remove the rubbers and clean out thoroughly then that's better

Each to there own I suppose, I find that if you don't clean them, then after about a week the build up of sludge attained from NOT cleaning is rather attactive :lol:

geoff pine

another sunny said:
Yes change the window rubbers not a cheap option but it does solve the problem

OZ-Racing

Silicone spray didn't last too long on mine, but some rubber lube spray stuff that I found lying around has lasted about 6 months so far with just 1 squirt;-) :-D