Slight clicking noise going over bumps

BMCC

I've had this for a while now but it's getting on my nerves now. Sometimes I get a little click/knock from the front right of the car going over bumps, turning corners (usual left turns), pulling off etc. I won't happen all the time but is becoming more frequent. It is one click/knock rather than a continual click/knock (I know one mans knock is another man's click!). The car was MOT'd a few months ago and I've done the advisories which were rear brake discs and rear ARB bushes. I know it is a long shot but anyone had something like this or anyone know where I should be looking etc?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What bushes do you have on your wishbones? - It's possible it's the noise of the pivot at the rear moving backwards and forwards in the bushing.

What state are the wheel bearing and/or hub nut? - I used to get some off noises and found it was the hub nut getting loose; I'd tighten it and noise would slowly come back. Then I replaced the bearing and the nut doesn't come loose so no more odd noises (and less tyre wear).

At the end of the day it could be almost anything.

BMCC

What bushes do you have on your wishbones? - It's possible it's the noise of the pivot at the rear moving backwards and forwards in the bushing.

What state are the wheel bearing and/or hub nut? - I used to get some off noises and found it was the hub nut getting loose; I'd tighten it and noise would slowly come back. Then I replaced the bearing and the nut doesn't come loose so no more odd noises (and less tyre wear).

At the end of the day it could be almost anything.
Yes It could be anything :cry: it is a long shot I know but just looking for the most likely suspects! If the weather holds up I'll stick it on the ramps and see if anything is obvious from the comments I get back here. It will probably need to be obvious though :lol:

BMCC

I've put the car on the ramps to see if anything obvious stands out; every bush looks poor in the transverse link (lower arm?) and the arb bushes look bad as well. Looks like I could change every bush down there and I'd still not know for sure if it was going to be knock free. :?

If I drive the car and quickly turn the wheel one way then the other then most time I can get the car to make the knock/click. Could this point to the track rod ends?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Like you said; it could be anything. - I think it's mostly likely that it's a worn bush somewhere, so when you replace them do them all up tight and it will probably go away.

You may never know what it is, but as long as the car is safe it might just be easier to turn the stereo up and try to ignore it. ;-)

BMCC

Like you said; it could be anything. - I think it's mostly likely that it's a worn bush somewhere, so when you replace them do them all up tight and it will probably go away.

You may never know what it is, but as long as the car is safe it might just be easier to turn the stereo up and try to ignore it. ;-)
My stereo is knackered :lol: so I thought I would stick in my old Kenwood stereo but the connectors are all wrong! So i need to fix that too :p

BMCC

Fixed!

Turns out it was the door pins. A wee bit of grease and it is all quiet :-D

Thanks to Warpspeed and his dad. I can now concentrate on listening to other rattles going on in the car!

keastygtir

Thats good knowledge to have, nice find.

When I changed to a nice quiet scorpion exhaust I noticed about 20 new rattles and creaks so i know what you mean.