Side mounted bucket seat

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Has anybody got a bucket seat thats fitted in position with side brackets

Like these

due to the floor on the drivers side they can't be like the ones above and would need to be fabricated to fit......

but the question is has any one done it and how easy was it

Steve

Keira

i wouldn't use those, theres not enough adjustment as its one piece

to get mine in i used a sparco universal side mount, is reasonably easy once you get it all worked out, just takes time making sure its right before you start drilling holes everywhere

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Nah, they were just an example

but it doesn't look to much of a pain.

Is the floor strong enough where you made the bolt holes or did you need to re enforce it.

Last edited:

Keira

the side nearest the door uses one of the original bolt holes and the front comes up though the cross member anywhere drilled through the floor will really require a plate added, too dodgy without

Keira

go with the universal side mounts, you can mess about with them loads to get the position right.

the pics make mine look like one sides further forward, which the base angle is, but you can move the side mounts to where you need them then bolt them up.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Thats not to bad then, I can deal with that without to much bother.

Those brackets always look really flimsy, are they ? don't you get side to side movement in the seat.

Keira

stevepudney said:
Thats not to bad then, I can deal with that without to much bother.

Those brackets always look really flimsy, are they ? don't you get side to side movement in the seat.
they're 5mm aluminium, fia approved.

once everythings bolted up they're fine, si uses the same,

Last edited:

Keira

a standard seat weighs approx 12kg iirc.

i know that both my cobra seats with kevlar shells are lighter than 1 standard seat.

Trip

I will be mounting my OMP seat with side mounting brackets soon.

I planned to cut the L shape brackets from the original seat and use them for bolting to the floor pan original mounting points. I will joint the 4 corners with strips of metal or hollow section to form a square shaped frame and a level surface. I will mount the seat brackets on the frame .

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Trip said:
I will be mounting my OMP seat with side mounting brackets soon.

I planned to cut the L shape brackets from the original seat and use them for bolting to the floor pan original mounting points. I will joint the 4 corners with strips of metal or hollow section to form a square shaped frame and a level surface. I will mount the seat brackets on the frame .
Thats the sort of thing I was going to do, I think it'll be fiddley either way.

I want to try and retain the approx original seating height. I might make it so the side bolts are on some sort of rail and have the bolts going through 2" slots, so I can have some finer forward and back seat movement/adjustment once it's all roughly in position.

bracpan

I also have Cobra seats, what I did was buy 1 alloy side mount set and one steel side mount set, as its the inner mount thats the pig to get right I have fitted the steel ones to the inner which I have cut and welded to get the right height etc and the alloy mounts (outer) then just bolt to a small subframe I made out of the old seat mounts, I can then bolt and unbolt the seats like normal. I can then refit the normal seats when i take it to be tuned or MOT, I have also made my door bars unbolt to so they can be removed at the same time.
Cheers
Phil

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
bracpan said:
I also have Cobra seats, what I did was buy 1 alloy side mount set and one steel side mount set, as its the inner mount thats the pig to get right I have fitted the steel ones to the inner which I have cut and welded to get the right height etc and the alloy mounts (outer) then just bolt to a small subframe I made out of the old seat mounts, I can then bolt and unbolt the seats like normal. I can then refit the normal seats when i take it to be tuned or MOT, I have also made my door bars unbolt to so they can be removed at the same time.
Cheers
Phil
Phil

You couldn't do me some pictures could you, pleeeesse ;-)

Steve