shims

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is there an extra 0 in that? I'm sure that Bobby's method was a cheap fix that he suggested instead of replacing them all.
For £30 I can see that's the cost of a cheap fix, but £300 must be the cost of doing it properly... either that or Bobby has a huge surcharge for doing work that he thinks you could do yourself!

Last edited:

soin

try getting the shims off nissan , you read correct £300 .. i had quotes of £400 from another garage .. were i a mechanic id have done it myself , didnt look hard to do .. granted it was a good days wage for bob but he was still cheaper than the others

noriek2003

i doubt the others would've used chopped up bits of feeler gauge...still aslong as you are happy with paying that sort of money for a bodge, thats all that matters..lol

soin

it was a case of needs must noriek , the mapper wouldnt map the car with the engine rattling as it was , a few members have had there car shimmed using this method with no probs .. if you come up with any evidence of bad issues concerning this method or better still somewhere that ll do it for less with correct appropriate shims from nissan , then please post up and let us now

Matty B

Bob did my old car using this method and i had no issues whatsoever. He also did my friends car just before christmas and so far so good. Granted, £300 is quite expensive but it is a bloody horrible and time consuming job. It is far cheaper and quicker than going to Nissan. Before Bob did my motor i got a quote from Nissan, firstly they needed the car to measure the clearences so they could order the correct size shim. This was about 3 hours labour. Then they had to order the shims which (at the time) were on back order and could take up to 3 months to arrive. Worst ways i would of needed all 16 shims at £13 each (approx). This means at this point it would of cost 3 hours labour and £208 parts before they even started to fix it. They then wanted the car for a whole day once the shims arrived.
I decided £300 and a day out of my life in cold and wet southend was a much better route to go. You may think otherwise.

P

pulsarboby

just seen this post, lovely:roll:
ok let me clarify a few things here as some of you seem to think that im ripping people off with this, which has kind of p1ssed me right off :evil:

here is a quote from the original thread READ IT

ive had 3 pms asking if i will re-shim heads for people since putting this thread up!
i merely put it up as a diy guide if you have noisy tappets due to clearance problems!

i havent the time to do other peoples heads for them, as its still a time consuming job, there are no shortcuts there im afraid!

i used this method when i rebuilt my own car, and fitted uprated cams etc i would not have done this if i thought for 1 second that it would not work, due to the extreme stresses my car will be under when it is raced!
i appologise for not having the time to help people out with this, but it can easily be done by yourselves assuming you have the expertise to carry out the job in the first place!

now for my tuppence worth
as above i merely put this on here to help out other members who wanted to get their heads shimmed, 'not for my own personal gain' i dont like doing it and i frankly havent got the time to do it as its a tedious monotonous job, and thats why it was put up initially as a diy quick fix.
now it does work as proven in my own car, others that have come to me plus all the people that have shimmed their own cars which is a fair few now.

my costs, which i should not need to justify
now i run a business with overheads, wages and bills to pay. i charge £45 an hour which is cheap in todays market, if you want your mate up the road whos signing on to do it for a bit of pocket money or the local car mad milkman to do it then by all means take it to him or do the job yourself if you dont want to pay garage rates.
i have never asked or tried to gain any work from doing this and my charges are clear for all to see on my website and always have been. people contact me, not the other way round!
all the people that have stayed at my place whilst this is being done will varify that its around 5 hours work and on top of that i need to let the car cool down before i can take any measurements.

take your car to nissan or a tuner and they will charge you around £300 for shims alone plus they wont be in stock plus there exhorbedant labour rates, i think it was you mattyb who was quoted over £800 and thats not unusual.

this has really made me think now why do i bother to try help anybody on these type of sites 'when i see snide posts like this':evil: maybe its time i became like a majority of others on here and instead of trying my best to help people i just resorted to snidey slimey little digs

well ive answered the post so write and think what you like

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sorry Bobby - you made it sound so easy in your guide that I guess some of us thought that it was a quick job (and cheap because it just involved destroying a set of feeler gauges).

I think it is generally accepted that you are one of (if not the) best value businesses to fix these old girls, and I apologise for suggesting that it was a surcharge for anybody not doing it themselves.

I guess we just figured that £30 was about an hours labour, and that it couldn't take much longer than that... to be fair I've only ever done the valve clearance on a SOHC engine before, which logically is half the work. So I just figured it was a typo.

Please don't stop what you're doing, we love you really!

Last edited:

olliecast

its definately not an easy job. took me a day to do mine and then you need the specific tool to cut the bloody things aswell
your perfectly entitled to charge what you do for this, its a bitch of a job, fiddly, time consuming, annoying and involves alot of swearing.

keep it up bob, you provide a massive service to the gtir community.

ollie

keastygtir

Its one thing giving your mate £20 and a 8 pack for helping you out, it is quite another giving up a days wage to do someone a favour.

Bobs always been great with me if I need any parts or advice (thanks)

With these cars I believe your better off getting advice off here and having a go yourself. Even it if takes 3 times longer than it should the confidence gained will mean you want to take on more repairs yourself. You then should save a load of cash to spend on V power!

olliecast

With these cars I believe your better off getting advice off here and having a go yourself. Even it if takes 3 times longer than it should the confidence gained will mean you want to take on more repairs yourself. You then should save a load of cash to spend on V power!
too right

think i fiddle with mine more than i drive the thing. Makes it more "your" car aswell

P

pulsarboby

i think the trouble is, that people seem to forget this is my living. i dont do it for the love of it, i actually dont even enjoy working on cars anymore, but its what i do like it or lump it.

its ok for some to come on here and try have a dig at me and my rates i charge just because there so called experts in the sr20det engine, but ask them how much they earn and if there willing to give that up to go crawling under sh1tty cars in all weathers and the answer will be no!

believe me people i dont make anything like some people on here seem to think i make out of doing cars, and as it happens im even considering pulling out of the breaking side of things altogether as it does not pay anymore
i cant compete with peoples prices when there breaking cars at home etc!
i may not be the cheapest but i always have tried to offer a good and fair service and more than anything 'try to help people to do their cars themselves' even to the point of showing people who have come down (how to shim the cars etc theirselves) now where else would you get that!
if that makes me a badman then so be it

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah; I drive my wife insane by getting up early on the weekend, putting the car up on the axle stands, and fiddling with the bits.

To be quite honest, what holds me back is not a lack of knowledge (because someone like Bobby is always willing to give you good advice), but getting rusted 18-year old parts undone. I couldn't change my wishbone because I couldn't get the front mount undone... couldn't do my rear ARB because one 14mm bolt wouldn't come out... even when I was getting my exhaust changed, the mechanics couldn't get the mounting bracket undone and sheared the bolt off.

Anyway, I suppose that if you try to do all the work yourself you don't know what it really costs to get this work done by someone like Bobby... and I am genuinely sorry to have upset him.

I've spent a few days on my back in the rain under the old girl... and now that I think about it, I would probably should have just paid for someone to do it instead... but I don't earn that much really, so it's do it myself or let it get worse.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

Anyway, I suppose that if you try to do all the work yourself you don't know what it really costs to get this work done by someone like Bobby... and I am genuinely sorry to have upset him.

you havent upset me at all, and no need for appologies!
but its not nice to come in and see something like this plastered over the pc screen aimed at my business and for me to have to justify my prices etc, which i believe are very fair.

as previously stated people can make up their own minds and are free to go wherever they choose to have their cars done, i dont force anyone to come to me, i have plenty of work to keep us going without trying to entice people from the sites.

with these cars inparticular you need to have a go at stuff yourselves or if you rely on tuners and so forth they then become very very expensive to run, and thats why i try to pass on what knowledge i have to others.
thats what the sites were designed for, not to just take the p1ss out of people and put people down for trying something new.

wiseman gtir

i try to pass on what knowledge i have to others.
thats what the sites were designed for, not to just take the p1ss out of people and put people down for trying something new.[/quote]

well said mate i for one am very grateful for the help and advice that you have give me mate.Believe me i bet a lot of people on here are.

noriek2003

what a suprise, bobs got upset :roll:

pulsarboby said:
its ok for some to come on here and try have a dig at me and my rates i charge just because there so called experts in the sr20det engine
anyone and everyone that has ever involved themselves with a financial interest in the gtir has at some point been criticised on this site by people that know slightly more than the average owner and rightfully so, its saved alot of people from making mistakes with certain choices that others have made, despite what you may think you aren't any different bob. Now i'm not saying that going to you for any work is a mistake before you read into that, everyone is obviously very happy with the service you have provided them which is rare thing in this day and age 8).

and, no i wouldn't take the pay cut :lol: and i have absolutely zero interest in doing anything on any other gtir than mine, simons and a couple of others so its not like i care what you do or dont do anyways.

i wasn't having a dig at you tbh, all the best to you if people are willing to bring a car to you and happily hand over £300 for a bodged 're-shim'. I thought we'd actually moved on from you getting your panties in a bunch everytime i 'dare' mention anything you do ?

obviously not :roll:

out of interest, 5hrs at £45 is £225, whats the other £75 for ? or £125 :shock: if you have a topmount, surely the chopped up bits of feeler gauge you'd chuck in for free ?

Last edited: