Shims! (again)

Sweeny

Im sure ive seen this discussed before but cant find the thread.

My shims need changing as they are really noisey. Ive just had a rebuild done, and as people know it takes forever for Nissan to get them.

Will it harm the engine if i run her in on these shims. I have 260° 11mm lift cams if that makes any difference :oops: .

Cheers.

James.

G

GAZ P

I ran my R in with the old shims & new Piper cam with no problems. Checked the clearances after 500 miles and replaced the shims as required, also had access to DP/Hiteq's large stock of shims so no need too pay Nissan £20 per shim. :lol: :wink: :lol:

Sweeny

GAZ P said:
I ran my R in with the old shims & new Piper cams with no problems
Was it really noisey tho?

Before mine it was rebuilt, the cams were put in and it ran fine, no noise. And now its rebuilt, is really noisey :? .

zia

recheck the clearances with engine hot, may need reshimming.if you don,t get it done the wear on the valve/valve seat will increase.

zia

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I've just started running mine in and its also very noisy. I have reshimmed it during the rebuild so I'm fairly certain the gaps are fine. My guess is its done to the c**p oil I've put in to premote engine wear. The other part of my problem is I've got so used to driving cars that down sound like tractors at idle its difficult to say if its any louder than before.

If you're really worried about the noise then keep the revs below 5000rpm to reduce the chance of a failure.

Sweeny

campbellju said:
If you're really worried about the noise then keep the revs below 5000rpm to reduce the chance of a failure.
:shock: Your taking it upto 5000rpm, i was told not to take it past 3500rpm for the first 500miles. then 4500rpm upto 1000 miles then put the boot in a bit more upto 1500 miles then :twisted: :twisted: woooo hoooo :lol: .