20vturbogaz

hi

I need to know how miles i should service the R .:doh:

1. oil change (engine)
2. oil change (gearbox and diff)
3. spark plugs
4. filter clean
5. engine setup (rolling road)

I understand that the more bhp you run = a shorter time between servicing intervals become.

so base the servicing on a car running no more than 1 bar on a standard engine (road uses). also is there anything i should change regular that is not a normal service item.(ht leads , air flow senors etc )

cheers gaz

PaulB

Gaz man, use the search function, its all been covered matey !!

But since im here and a nice lad ill tell you my two penneth worth.

1) Oil and filter every 6k (6months roughly) would do for me. I use 10/40W fully synth.

2) Gearbox and diff i would say 2 - 3 years really, dont think its a serviceable item.

3) Every year for the plugs, say 12k miles. Uprate to colder running plugs if your gonna run 1 bar.

4) Clean your filter yearly too.

5) An engine setup on the rollers would do nowt for you other than show you bhp, coz theres nowt you can do to the engine anyway.

Saying as youve just bought the car, id say oil and filter, spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm would be done so you know its all done. If your feeling flush, then do all your transmission oils too to know your running nice before you whack your boost up

Last edited:

gunmetalgtir

I think it should be done every 2.5k thats plugs, oil+filter, air filter! Thats what I do with this R and my last one and they both run sweet as fook! HT leads, dizzy cap, and rotor arm should be changed when needed!

O

Odin

gunmetalgtir said:
I think it should be done every 2.5k that's plugs, oil+filter, air filter! !
Don't be daft :doh: :der: , Fully synthetic oil can last up to 10k if the car isn't driven overly hard, ie track/drag days every weekend.

I'd say 6k is about right for a typical R driven by a 20 something off the forum :lol: .

I only did one track day last year and no dragging so I didn't change the oil at all, Mind you I've only done 3000 miles in the last two years :doh: :oops: , But when I was using it for work everyday I changed it every 8-10k.

If I where doing track days every weekend then I'd probably change it after every 2nd-4th track day, Depending on how hard I'd driven it on track.

Oh and I defo wouldn't be changing my £60-£80 set of plugs every bl00dy 2500 miles that's for sure :shock: :der: .

Rob

gunmetalgtir

I used my grey one as a daily driver and that got driven HARD, lead foot everywhere I went so I felt it was necessary to change the oil that often.

My new one gets used on weekends and dry days only so maybe I'm just being a bit over causious as it gets driven nowhere near as hard as my last one!

What plugs do you use for them to be that price Rob?? I use denso iridiums and their only £40!!

youngsyp

I agree with the majority on the engine oil changing. Every 6k - 7k miles or 6 months is good, if you use a top quality fully synthetic oil.

Change the gearbox, transfer box and rear diff oil every year, with a good oil like Silkolene Syn 5.

Change plugs when they need changing (probably every 18 months, if you have iridium tipped plugs).

Clean your air filter whenever it needs it. Probably every 3 or 4 months with an open cone design type job.

If you change anything that may effect you AFR, get the car on a dyno, for a diagnostic run, to make sure everything is how it should be. If you don't change anything that will affect your AFR's, don't waste your money with the dyno.

These are just personal preferences but, make good sense with modern day oils etc...

20vturbogaz

PaulB said:
search man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If thats the case you would never have any new posts .coz all your questions would be answered in some way or another. I asked the guys that replyed to the post what oils they used . :hail:

D

deslynam

Oil; Millers 10W40 or 10W60 CFS (£40/5litres), or Silkolene Pro-S 10W50 (£45-£50 for 5L from Opie Oils).
If you use a semi-synthetic oil then change it twice as frequently as a proper fully synthetic (as the above oils are).

Cleaning your air filter every 3-4months seems a tad excessive to me!

PaulB

20vturbogaz said:
If thats the case you would never have any new posts .coz all your questions would be answered in some way or another
indeed thay have !!

Good luck with the car today bud, hope shes sweet as a nut :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Nissan list 60 000miles for standard plug changes, I'd normally just change them when you think you have a problem with them.

gunmetalgtir

stevepudney said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

can't have been driving it that hard if your using that fake synthetic crap in your pride and joy.
Why what's up with it? Used it in both my R's and never had a problem with it!

youngsyp

deslynam said:
Cleaning your air filter every 3-4months seems a tad excessive to me!
I've got a 100mm cold air feed going to it so, it get's all the crap that the front of the car sees !
As it's stainless mesh, it shows up all the debris so, I normally just give it a quick shake off but, do plan to clean it properly soon, with a soapy bath and a blow out :eek:x

If you have one of those HKS pieces of crap, you really should clean it out quite regularly !