SEMI-SYNTHETIC OIL.

A

Anonymous

Hi all
I just wanted to try and clear something up.Where i got my car from(who are well reputable tuners in jap imports)said i should put semi - synthetic oil in the engine,but i see you chaps are using fully synthetic oil.Does it make a big difference between the two,and if so will it harm my engine if i do use semi synthetic. :?:
Cheers.

Cris

Sam g

There have been quite a few posts on exactly this topic (try the search feature for the full low down).

Yes - do use fully synthetic

I use 10W60 Millers CFC (racing spec) which is about £30 for 5 litres

Enjoy searching!

andygtir

I use 10W60 Millers CFC (racing spec) which is about £30 for 5 litres
so do i :D gives good pressure and makes the engine sound smoother.

i've also tried casrtol rs 10w60 and agip 10w60 all good oils, i'd recomend any of them, if you have trouble getting the millers.

i got mine from woodcote autos by post 01606 836637 - you get 15% discount if you say you're from the owners club thanks to memski :D

S

SunnyGTIR

i got mine from woodcote autos by post 01606 836637 - you get 15% discount if you say you're from the owners club thanks to memski
How much did it work out inc. delivery?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that dudes.
I'd better use fully synthetic then.
sam g

A

Anonymous

I'll do you 20litres for £80 inc delivery :D If your interested.

S

seanleed

chris coulton said:
I'll do you 20litres for £80 inc delivery :D If your interested.
I am, for when I eventually get my car back on the road :D :D :D
PM me your details and I'll try and scrape some money together. :oops:

J

jasegould

I think maybe the confusion stems from the fact that when the sr20det engine was being designed fully synthetic engine oil of todays standard wasnt available or too expensive so the engines were designed to run on semi synthetic hence some people still use semi :?: :?: :?:

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I dunno why, but my car has always been running on 10W40 ...
I'm in holland, so same climate as uk.
Now I've always been told once you use semi synth oil you can't change to fully synth oil ? Is this true ?
(oh, and how many litres of oil should I put into the engine?)

andygtir

Now I've always been told once you use semi synth oil you can't change to fully synth oil ? Is this true ?
i heard it was the other way round! once on fully synthetic you cant go back.

its about 3.7 litres including prefilling the oil filter, but check the dipstick to make sure its full.

Cris

WJ said:
Nope. In the old days semi and synthetic used to cause jellification (or some similar effect). Nowadays there's no problems.