seems to have a mis at idle

stugtir300

Afternoon everyone,its been a while since my last post,the r has been off the road for a few years now,been stored in a garage till i find the time to do the bodywork,since i moved house it is now sat on the drive,she gets started and moved as often as i have the time,now i started her up the other day and checked her over,all seemed fine,then the revs at idle started to fluctuate between 750 and 1000rpm,i think the old girl could do with a spring clean and a good service(plugs etc).if anyone has any other ideas or pearls of wisdom then that would be much appreciated.

stugtir300

I forgot to mention there was water in the spark plug well nearest the drivers wing,not covered by topmount,i removed the water cleaned the lead and plug,then left her to idle and she was fine,put some fresh fuel in her today,the old girl started to fluctuate at idle after about ten minutes,ill check the vac covers and give her a service after shes been to the paint shop and see how she goes after that.

stugtir300

Had another look over the engine and found the hose from top left of rocker cover split(breather),so replaced it,could that have been another reason why the shed seamed to be chocking,havent started her back up yet.need a beer.

red reading

Aggro, pain in the arse problems etc etc, any thing that causes an air leak round the inlet manifold or on the standard crankcase emission area will cause poor running,dodgy idle,boost leaks etc...agg

stugtir300

Took the old girl round the block today,a little hesitant on boost,parked her back on the drive,opened the bonnet to find a hissing noise from what sounds like the back of the engine under the inlet,oh and i need a header tank because the nipple on mine has all but broke off,going to be busy finding the cause of the hissing.wish me luck

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just get a long piece of hose and stick one end in your ear and poke the other end around at the back of the engine.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Hissing from the back of the engine? Sounds like one of those coolant pipes has split. - You can try jacking it up and running the engine; if it's leaking you should be able to see the drips and at least narrow it down a bit.

stugtir300

I will look again tomorrow,but there was no leaks of any kind,oil or water,if there was surely there would be signs of it on the ground beneath the car,which there aint,like i said before its hesitant on boost so ill have to check fuel pressure,fuel pump,knock,ignition(spark),fault codes,give her a good service and see where i go from there.anymore feedback from anyone would be much appreciated.