Scorpion vs Mongoose

keithg

I currently have a Scorpion system on my R but Im thinking of changing it to a Mongoose system, altho is it really worth it? Will the performance gains be minimal or should I actually notice a difference?

Thanks

youngsyp

I'd expect the gains to be minimal. You'd be much better off investing in a larger and smoother bore turbo elbow.

antgtir

Or a custom 3" rather than both those makes. Agree with Paul, while your changing the 3" elbo will (so im told) work wonders for spool up of turbo etc

Ant.

EVOBAD

the only dif in these is the sound mate the goose sounds great but id be loking to spend else wher or see if anybody is intresed in a swop

gtir bean

scorpion sounds far better in my opinion.it makes noise when you want it to and you dont get looks from people as if your driving like a nutter when your just pulling out a junction.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
You’ll have to do a few searches on the forum, there is a place in the northwest that does an excellent 3" elbow and downpipe; but from your user name you'll have a way to travel. ;-)

Best bet is to see if someone around your area that makes bespoke exhaust and see if they will make you a 3" elbow and downpipe :-D

I have a 3" elbow and downpipe mated on to a mongoose and its make a good diffrence to spool up and power gains.:thumbsup:

cheers mate, i have a mongoose at the mo, but want a elbow for it.

this company your talking about, surely they could make a elbow without a car being there?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Don’t think so, I could be wrong. I had to go down for them to make mine up whilst I waited.

You could always ask them: Phone/Fax: 01704 897778 ;-)

www.pipewerx.com ;-)

snoon

Leave the exhaust - waste of cash changing it. Elbow is the way to go.

I had to leave my car there while they made mine. The Racing Line in Halifax made it - 3" for £260. Seen over 30 BHP gains without a remap so well worth the money.
Any tuner or exhaust fabricator will be able to make it. Even if they have to order the flange in and just do the pipe work as they did with mine.

Shaun

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
snoon said:
I had to leave my car there while they made mine. The Racing Line in Halifax made it - 3" for £260.

Shaun
I paid around £260 for a 3" elbow and downpipe. The rest of the system is a 2.5 mongoose. Shop around and see what deals you can get. ;-)

DanDud

From going in Andys car the 3 inch elbow will deffinatly give you the biggest gains, especially spooling up.

Sound wise yeah the mongoose sounds really meaty but its extremely loud, its police pulling you over loud and you will struggle to get onto some tracks if they noise test you.

Iv got the scorpian and i find it great, may lose 1 or 2bhp over a goose, but it still sounds good, nice and raspy, its loud enough without being in your face.

keithg

Well after some investigation it turnes out I've got a Magnex system on the car, is the story for this pritty much the same as the Scorpion system or is this even worse???

davey red.r

gtir bean said:
scorpion sounds far better in my opinion.it makes noise when you want it to and you dont get looks from people as if your driving like a nutter when your just pulling out a junction.
agree with that
ive a mongoose on
and its bloody loud.

davey;-)

warringtonjack

I thought the Magnex was a Cat-back system :? , in which case have you still got the Cat on it? Some gains to be made by ditching the Cat and getting a straight through system.

(If your car is younger than 08/92, you may need a Cat to pass the MOT.)

keithg

warringtonjack said:
I thought the Magnex was a Cat-back system :? , in which case have you still got the Cat on it? Some gains to be made by ditching the Cat and getting a straight through system.

Im not sure mate, I've only had the car a short time and this is the 1st 1 I've had with a Magnex on it...

I'll have a look underneath thei weekend if the weathers not to bad.

davey red.r

warringtonjack said:

its normally
10 to 15 brake i believe
has been on a few cars ive had
ditching the cat.

davey