sard cooling thermostat

davey red.r

is anyone on here using a sard cooling thermostat? had a one fitted the other day,
the starting operating temp is 68*c compared to standard 78*c,most of our gtirs run poorly in warm weather, this has made a great improvement,to my r,prob one of the best mods ive done for the money,had it out today in the warm weather and its running very well.
saying that, the one that was on, may of been 17yr old ,and not operating effectively.

davey;-)

Last edited:

davey red.r

yes thats on the list too, just waiting till i get the gt turbo on, to see how much room is left to play with, between that and the forge fmic.

davey

youngsyp

davey red.r said:
is anyone on here using a sard cooling thermostat? had a one fitted the other day,
the starting operating temp is 68*c compared to standard 78*c,most of our gtirs run poorly in warm weather, this has made a great improvement,to my r,prob one of the best mods ive done for the money,had it out today in the warm weather and its running very well.
saying that, the one that was on, may of been 17yr old ,and not operating effectively.

davey;-)
Where did you get the thermostat from mate ?

I was going to go with a Nismo one, through lack of choice but, if others are available......

Paul

davey red.r

youngsyp said:
Where did you get the thermostat from mate ?

I was going to go with a Nismo one, through lack of choice but, if others are available......

Paul
got it off a mate paul,he said he got it from newera japan he never fitted it to his r, due to change of plan.

ps check the link on home page newera type in gtir page 11 i think there on there £44.

davey;-)

Last edited:

youngsyp

davey red.r said:
got it off a mate paul,he said he got it from newera japan he never fitted it to his r, due to change of plan.

ps check the link on home page newera type in gtir page 11 i think there on there £44.

davey;-)
Thanks matey. :thumbsup:

Paul

Animaldaz

Presumably this is just like the oe stat but it opens earlier, so why on earth is it £44!!!! Think a new genuine stat is about £15.

youngsyp

Animaldaz said:
What just because it says SARD on it, is it made out of titanium?
There would be no benefit of making this out of Titanium due to its already low weight. Plus, it wouldn't function as required either !

You're right on the first count though, it's only that much money because it has Sard written on it. But then, the original Nissan one is highly overpriced ! ;-)

I'm going to go with the Nismo one anyway. As mentioned above, it opens at an even lower temperature than the Sard so, should aid cooling even more.

If you look on eBay, there are plenty of companies that have the Nismo item for very reasonable money.

Paul

GTi-R23

Not seen the OE stat, but can't you just modify it by drilling a few holes in it? Never really had cooling probs with mine.

They used to take the 'stats out altogether on 5 turbos back in the day, and put them back in in the winter.

youngsyp

GTi-R23 said:
Not seen the OE stat, but can't you just modify it by drilling a few holes in it? Never really had cooling probs with mine.
What benefit would that have ?
If you did this, there would be no point in having the thermostat in at all !

GTi-R23 said:
They used to take the 'stats out altogether on 5 turbos back in the day, and put them back in in the winter.
Again, you could do that but, if you took the thermostat out, the car would take longer to warm up.

I've never had any cooling problems with mine either. My water temp gauge doesn't move from 1/3rd up the scale and on Datascan, it never goes above 95 degrees C when stationary. My oil temp is good as well, sitting at 90 degrees C whilst cruising at 80 - 85 mountains per hectare on a hot day. However, every little helps and a cool engine with good temperature control will perform better and last longer. In general, a 14 - 18 year old radiator will not be working as well as it once did. That along with greater demands on the engine...... So, the lower temp thermostat and regular coolant changes will help this too.

Paul

GTi-R23

Yeah fair play, not disputing any of that. Just thought that a modified 'stat would allow a little warm water to pass before the OE stat opens, thus allowing warm coolant to pass through the rad before it's properly up to temperature, it's a crude way of doing it I agree, just a thought though.
But as you say, the rads on these cars will have seen better days and so I'd recommend a new rad before thinking an early opening 'stat will solve any cooling problems anyone may be having, after all, once the 'stat has opened, it's job is done and doesn't aid cooling, it's only there to stop the engine from overcooling.

SIR GTIR

Pulsar RNN14 M/T M / T SR20DET 29127 48,000 50,400 for a sard sport rad
this is what i found but for 50.000 yen i think at the mo i'll stick with my recore