Sand blasted my intake mani

Fusion Ed

Nice except you removed all the plating on the steel parts which will rust in 30 sec if left unprotected.

Mr B

Lol look nice but not very practical as Mr Ed has pointed out & as above if you got grains of sand hanging around plates ect you get some issues... Best option is less agressive cleaning & a quality coating ...

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Looks great, sand blasting works really well when trying to remove that brown film that builds up on the internals of the block, also if you blast the internals of the throttle bodies for longer and then blast out the inside of the MAF as well you'll get much better airflow afterwards, good job :thumbsup:dont forget to give the internals of the turbo a good clean as well, gets really mucky in there........

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Don't I know someone who did some sandblasting with interesting results... his name was Sandy wasn't it? :lol:

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I'd be very surprised if those throttle bodies ever worked properly again but they should look good....

Madtec

Lol look nice but not very practical as Mr Ed has pointed out & as above if you got grains of sand hanging around plates ect you get some issues... Best option is less agressive cleaning & a quality coating ...
After i sand-blasted the parts were soaked in a static tank to remove any fine sand particles that may have been left about the operation

Madtec

Looks great, sand blasting works really well when trying to remove that brown film that builds up on the internals of the block, also if you blast the internals of the throttle bodies for longer and then blast out the inside of the MAF as well you'll get much better airflow afterwards, good job :thumbsup:dont forget to give the internals of the turbo a good clean as well, gets really mucky in there........
I did the compressor hsg and i am going with a blow thru hard pipe Z32 MAF setup.....thanks for the thumbs up, pics with i get my car back

gtirx2

I would at least fully strip the throttle bodys and clean them out mate,its asking for trouble if you dont!

I ported and sandblasted all my manifold in the past but made sure it was fully stripped and sealed up the best i could first,and even then it still seems a bit of a gamble,but tbh stripped they are not to hard to clean out.
I also think there are bearings in there which will not appreciate the sand.

I have also sandblasted the sealed manifold on my uno and thats been ok so far,but i also had to spend hours cleaning that out to be happy enough to use it.

Sandblasting does leave a very good finish though,although a little porous that loves oily finger marks lol.
Glass bead is an even better finish but i think the new one people like is aqua blasting, which i think is glass bead with water,that looks a very smooth finish.

Madtec

The bearings are a sealed type so i was not to worried about them and i did inspect before and after and the free link movement was the same. I would rather do a extrude honed on the internal walls but that was way too expensive and the gains would be marginal at best; not trying to go crazy with my upgrades, just a simple disco and a custom IC piping and a front mount.

I did a sand-blast because that is what was available to me (free...) at the time, the external and internal walls had some build up so cleaning them as best i could before i reinstall is the best solution instead of leaving it the way it is...

I have not had much experience with glass or aqua blasting but they seem to be very good processes but not available to me at this time; if i had deep pockets hell yeah!!!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I did the compressor hsg and i am going with a blow thru hard pipe Z32 MAF setup.....thanks for the thumbs up, pics with i get my car back
I was taking the piss, I wouldn't let any sort of loose abrasive anywhere near the internals of any engine.

Madtec

Let me be clear, i sand-blasted the external surface of the compressor hsg and after i soaked it in a static tank to remove any small particles, seems that there is a lot of overly cautious members on this forum......

Madtec

Yes, sand-blasting without doing a secondary process like hot or static tank is asking for trouble......

Let me be clear, i sand-blasted the external surface of the compressor hsg and after i soaked it in a static tank to remove any small particles, seems that there is a lot of overly cautious members on this forum......
Good, its not being overly cautious. I am an aerodynamicist for the largest manufacturer of heavy duty turbochargers and have seen back to back compressor maps showing the effect of blasting the profile and diffuser faces of a compressor cover.