Safety Devices Cage

billy187

Im going to be putting my order in for a safety devices cage this week and was just after abit of guidance as i have never had a car with a cage before. The car will be mainly for road use although when its ready i think i may be tempted to do some track days as it should be well set up.

There wont be any rear seats in the car either so just a pair of bucket seats in the front with harness's. The car has already had the mounting points for the cage in the car made up as well. Is there anything i should consider or need to be aware of before ordering as there are quite a few options to pick from which to be honest i dont know what some are :oops:

Cheers

Tim

Why on earth do you want a roll cage for a car that "might" do some track days?

They are annoying to use on the road, climbing in and out in car parks is difficult, they foul your vision, render the rear seats useless. Also take note that ideally you should be wearing a helmet when driving a car with a roll cage. Many of us, myself included take risks driving the car without a helmet.

You want harness bars and a single door bar at the very least, but imho a total waste of money if it isn't a dedicated track car.

gtirjoey

hold fire mate i have been talking to a company who actually have a cage they ordered for a customer that he never picked up, so are willing to accept a offer on it.
i will get the number for you tomorrow.

darkyGTI-R

I want to roll cage mine eventually as a daily driver and definately track it also half fast road half track that's my future plans anyway

skiddusmarkus

Why do you need harness bars?Aren't the original rear seat belt fixing points sufficient?Thats what I am planning to use.

whytie

Why do you need harness bars?Aren't the original rear seat belt fixing points sufficient?Thats what I am planning to use.
You should really have a harness bar its all about how the harness holds you in the event of a crash, you should have the harness bar actually set up with your seating position.

stumo

NOOOOO, the mounting points are on the floor (the belt would be at an angle about 45 deg) and you really need to have the belts being level or at worst 10deg down.

In a heavy crash you might break your back if you use the original mounting points......

skiddusmarkus

Not really on the floor, under where the back seats used to live.Fair enough if its dangerous to mount them so low then I'll have to work around it.A local guy can make cages so I'll ask him to put in a harness bar and maybe beef up the rest of the cage as its only a 6 point.

Is there much beneft to fitting door bars(I would have them very low down so as not to be in the way too much)?Are they more for side impact protection or structural strength?

stumo

Not really on the floor, under where the back seats used to live.
That's called the floor too.:doh:

Fair enough if its dangerous to mount them so low then I'll have to work around it.A local guy can make cages so I'll ask him to put in a harness bar and maybe beef up the rest of the cage as its only a 6 point.

Is there much beneft to fitting door bars(I would have them very low down so as not to be in the way too much)?Are they more for side impact protection or structural strength?
door bars will help with side impacts and stiffness....and one major part of fitting a cage, especially to our cars is to stiffen the chassis.

olliecast

personally, i enjoy walknig, so i wouldn`t use the floor mounts after some of the stories i`ve read.

as said, get a harness bar in or get your cage modded.

in terms of side bars, my cage has cross bars on it. Don`t even think about them for the road, and especially if you have a lady friend, as getting in and out is a mission.
I was wondering is theres any skin i can take out of the door inners to try and make them a bit lighter (can only change bonnet and tailgate in my class) now i`ve got some side impact protection, its just i can`t convince myself to do it or that my cross bars are strong enough.

darkyGTI-R

Is that to do with the class you're in then?

Maybe you should change your class to someone like Andy's he has no rear seats!

olliecast

Is that to do with the class you're in then?

Maybe you should change your class to someone like Andy's he has no rear seats!
next class up from mine now is alot more free. Slicks etc.
I`d rather stay where i am as it`ll cost more than the rear seats :)

Tim

I'm sure you'd only need to get in and out of my car a handful of times with it in the garage to see where i'm coming from as far as using a caged car day-day and you are more than welcome to do so.. I'm in s.yorks.

Proper fixed back seats are required too, both myself and Ollie use a snap off steering wheel to aid getting in and out, makes a massive difference.