safe mode / knock sensor

T

thelegend

My car is really starting to annoy me with this problem, I can be driving along cuising at 60mph and it will spit its dummy out and go into safe mode. a check of the codes will reveal 34. If i switch the ignition off and on this usually clears it for a while but always comes back. I now the car isnt detonating so it must be a fault in the circuit somewhere

whats the common cause? knock sensor failure or wiring? is there anyway to test a sensor?

cheers

paul

Shaun

Hi Paul,the code 34 means there is either a fault with the wiring or with the DET sensor itself,i have just changed 1 a couple of weeks ago with the same syptoms that you have and the sensor had actually spilt apart in 2 places,the only problem was that i had to remove the sensor to find out,not a very nice job.Theres only a single wire coming fron the sensor's plug so i would check that first for contenuity.

daz

i had a det sensor problem ages ago turned out that it was the single wire from the sensor that was loose in the connector. so when the engine vibrates it causes the ecu to loose the signal thus flashing up code 34. took it to the garage changed the connector and all was ok. just because the casing is cracked on the sensor does not mean that its faulty. as mine was cracked and it worked fine