Running lean and knock sensor problem

Pulsar dan

I have a 1994 gti-R owned for around a month was going really well untill I had a misfire when I changed the spark plugs I shined a torch onto the pistons and they have gone clean. I run the car for a few days and took plugs out and they come out White as if it's starving of petrol, I've change fuel pump,fuel pressure reg, fuel filter and injectors and hasn't made no difference. Its bringing up fault code 34 knock sensor, I'm goin to wire in a resister to night to by pass knock sensor. Has any one got any info that could help?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think that's a good idea - if it's running lean, the chances are the the knock sensor is working fine and it's protecting your engine from a complete melt-down. If you know it's otherwise fine, then I'd try replacing the knock sensor (rather than faking it with a resistor).

What else has been done to the car; are you running some kind of piggy-back system that could have gone awry? Is it a standard FPR?

Pulsar dan

Not to sure if the ecu has been chipped, but the risistor didn't work and is still showing code 34 so bit lost. It's just got usual 300bhp mods with 1bar off boost and walbro fuel pump. Perhaps I should try a standard ecu, I'm going to book it in with bob at gtirus when he has got some spare time. Just thought try and sole the problem.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Have you cleared the codes, and it still comes back? Maybe the wiring is shot.

P

pulsarboby

as said on phone dan.......change the main prob first being knock sensor!
untill youve sorted that out its a waste of time trying to find other probs, fix one thing at a time;-)

Pulsar dan

Yes I understand that, that's y I thought of running a risistor and then check if it's running lean. I just don't want to spend hours changing the knock sensor if it's actually working, of what Ive read and been told if the knock sensor is faulty/detected knock it should make car run rich? Well it's running really lean so just thinking it's fetching knock rather than faulty sensor.

PUL54R

I would change the knock sensor before doing anything else first. I kept getting the same fault code, tried a second hand one I had which didn't work (should have gone for a new one first time!) then I started checking wiring and all sorts including another ecu. In the end after eliminating everything else I got a new sensor and fitted it. All ok ever since.

Pulsar dan

Yes I have fitted a resistor now but have also bought a knock link to be sure. Need to get it on the rollers would like to take to ed at fusion but just a bit far

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What does the knock link work on? If you've disabled the det sensor with a resistor, have you also disabled your knock link (or does it "listen" to something else)?