Rubber covers - idling probs

J

J-GTi-R

I know this has been posted before but I can't find the info through a search (probably not looking hard enough...).

The rubber caps that can pop off and cause erratic idling, when exactly are they on the car? I had my intercooler off last night and I can't see any. I do have 4 protrusions from the inlet manifold that have what looks like screw heads sunk in them, are they supposed to go on them? My car is idling really badly at the moment and this may be why.

J.

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah? Well Briitts reckons they do, so... I'll go with Ivan.

Cheers for the info Kev.

J.

GINGA

They will affect the idle if they blow off as they let extra air into that cylinder causing all sorts of mixture problems and high idle and hesitasion while driving[:(]
there just above the screw head you discribe and the the same things thats used to balance carbs on motorbikes[;)] one small metal pipe coming out of each throttle body that should be covered by a small rubber nipple[;)]if you need more info i'll get you a pic.

Wanted 16" raceline rl7's

E

Edd

quote:Originally posted by GINGA
think i'm going blind lately[:D]

Your using the picture you took of vpulsar topless to pass the time then [:0][;)][:X]

1000 miles and still intact

J

J-GTi-R

quote:Oh yeahthink i'm going blind lately

He he, thanks anyway, I'll go out and check if they are there.

J.

A

Anonymous

Well, due to my name being mentioned, i want to clear this up.
The protusion with the screw inside should come with a rubber/plastic flat piece stuck inside from the factory, if this is missing it will not affect anything as it should only stop the dirt from getting to the screw head.

The other thin metal tube protruding out close to the above item is capped off with rubber bungs that look like bullets, these are the ones that can blow off with excessive boost. If any of these are missing they will allow more air to be sucked in at idle (but your idle won't all the time be higher as the ECU will try to keep the idle at the ROM value). If these are missing when boosting it can cause problems and the engine will splutter.

Hope this clears it up. Look at the pics in the linked URL and you will see where the arrows are pointing to (to the bullet bungs) and if you look at the 'quality bung' in the next picture you will see the plastic cap is missing from the screw head (can't see down to the screw head).