rose joint front and rear suspension

Hi guys,

I am going to modify front and rear suspension arm to use rose joint rod end instead of the rubber inserts. I currently use the full whiteline polibush kit, but I still think there is a big margin of improvement and rose joint are the obvious answer.
The full conversion will be based on FLURO high quality rod ends and spherical bearings with bronze insert..
The front kit will consist of a 14mm spherical bearing on a steel, 2 part threaded insert (male-female) the female insert will carry the bearing and that will be pressed in the wishbone. The male insert will simply screw on the female one and it will block the bearing from moving. This is for the front of the wishbone.
The rear will be based on a 22mm spherical bearing and a custom housing that will bolt to the chassis. It will allow caster increase as per Whiteline kit. The only mod to the wishone is a threaded steel sleeve that will be fitted on the back shaft and welded at the base.

For the rear the 4 arms will be replaced and will carry 14mm male rod ends. They will be adjustable in length.
The remaining 2 arms (transverse ones) will be modded. On the chassis side it will be cut and I will weld a threaded insert to screw the 14mm male rod end.
On the hub side the solution is similar to the one used for the front, with a 2 piece threaded steel insert and a 14mm spherical bearing.
I am making a first prototype.
Wonder if people could be interested in this kind of modification.
Any comment is highly appreciated

Trip

I had the idea of changing the whole front wishbone to custom design using oval piping just like what they use on kit cars. http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/images/DAR001.jpg

The question is, How strong are these for our power and weight of the car ?

Have you got any designs or any sketch of what you said. I might be interesed in the front .

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How long do you expect the rose joints to last. I have the motorsport ones on my bumpsteer kit and the near side one is already showing signs of wear after less than 5000miles of not overly hard driving.

olliecast

Depends what you`ll use the road for too.

Not sure about other events but i`m pretty sure that the msa sprint regs don`t allow for rose joints (not sure if its the same over there trip?)

I am noit going to fabrica new wishbones , I will just modify the stock ones as per my description on top.
I have some drawings and will soon have some CAD models. We are completing the design.
Fluro has some motorsport rod end that are specially designed for the purpose, however I still think that heavy duty ones are better for this application. Motorsport ones have PTFE liner that will wear faster than the bronze found in heavy duty ones. All needed is a good clean with a degreaser and some lube.
I also have the bumpsteer kit with Fluro ends and are still perfect after a few years of use.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Its an option but a simpler starting point would be to fit stiffer poly bushes. I believe the whiteline and some polyflex bushes are more road biased. Speak with VSS Irrvine (Martyn) who I think can get hold of stiffer bushes.

If you want to go for track rod ends then these people I've found very helpful in the past:

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41390

Jim

Last edited: