Is there much point in putting a pulsar on a R/R
when all im doing is runnig

Apexi AVCR boost controller ( 1.0bar)
Greddy turbo timer
Apexi air filter
exedy organic
Full goose
Samco collant and turbo hoses

surely i only need to get fueling checked if i start changing cam,and injecters bla bla

youngsyp

pulsarmark said:
well worth getting it set up on the rollers fella as when i bought my first r i had it on the rollers it only produced 220bhp but then after a set up it made 340bhp.
:confused: But what does he have to set up ? The boost controller is already set up for 1 bar (1 Kg/mm actually), and he doesn't mention and fuel controller or timing controller. Without them, all the dyno operator could do is adjust his base timing !

Never the less, it would still be worth while, taking a few runs on a dyno. You could then remedy any possible problems the runs reveal.

A word of warning though, don't take what the dyno operator, of the print outs tell you as gospel. When I put mine on a dyno for the first time, it came off and the operator and AFR graph, reported that it was running lean (dangerously so) throughout the rev and load range. However, the car runs like a dream and despite changing the FPR and fuel pump, as well as cleaning the fuel filter, the car still runs exactly the same as it did.
In the past, I've had issues at MOT time as, they couldn't get a good emissions reading from the exhaust due to my tailpipe/rear box design. And when I checked back at the video of my car on the dyno, the operator fiddled with the exhaust probe on every run.......

Just my experience.

Paul

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
If your going to take it to a dyno session, I’d be more interested in making sure that its fuelling right and that there’s not DET in the engine. After that then you can brag about your misleading/corrupted bhp readings

If you want to check the readings (bhp) later in the year after perhaps more tweaks, then the methods of using the same dyno will give you a decent reading of any gains

Granted you might have a reading of 300bhp, but realistically it might only be making 250bhp. Next time to have a session, it might read 350bhp, but it’s really making 300bhp; however you do know that it’s made 50bhp from last time

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

imo with what your running its an absolute waste of time & money!
you know what the rough bhp is gonna be with your setup so why bother other than for maybe bragging rights as fubar andy pointed out.

if your putting the car on rollers to get mapping sorted then thats another story, but 90% of people just use them for bragging rights.

snoon

pulsarboby said:
imo with what your running its an absolute waste of time & money!
you know what the rough bhp is gonna be with your setup so why bother other than for maybe bragging rights as fubar andy pointed out.

if your putting the car on rollers to get mapping sorted then thats another story, but 90% of people just use them for bragging rights.
I agree, also you can always do a fault code check yourself if the car is new just for peace of mind.
Save the cash - your going to need it at some point!! Probably to buy parts off Boby - we all do!!

johnsy

thanx for the replies fellas get a lot more sence out of ya than on the modifiers.i had my motor serviced a month after i bought it and had to have big end rebuilt and crank grind ,couple of new rods because the mechanic did not tighten the sump plug! thats wot i get for going to a subaru speacilists, found a lad through davey red on here who has a couple of gti-r racers and he checked it over for me and give it a clean bill of health thank god said it was a clean example...........thinking about getting some cams for low down grunt will i need to get a remap? not really interested in going over 300bhp i want more torque

davey red.r

glad you went to see stevo,
his knowledge of the gti/r, is second to none,
bit expensive but worth it,
no you wont need to remapp it mate,if your only goin 300hp.

davey;-)

johnsy

davey red.r said:
glad you went to see stevo,
his knowledge of the gti/r, is second to none,
bit expensive but worth it,
no you wont need to remapp it mate,if your only goin 300hp.

davey;-)
alright fella i went and seen him last week had a good look round and did a compression test advised me to get wheels aligned asap new disc and pads alround and rubber,then im gonna save up for sum race cams . im about 700kms into me runnin in cant wait to open it up

davey red.r

you will be wasting your time getting race cams,you will just see no benefit from these at 300hp,
stock cams are good for 400hp+
spend your money on a lightweight flywheel 4.8k or similar.
wont increase bhp.
but you will notice how much quicker your car picks up through the rev range.:thumbsup:
i was impressed when i got mine fitted.

regards davey;-)

P

pulsarboby

sorry davey but your wrong there lol

he will see big gains and the car will pull a lot harder through the rev range! but to get the most from the cams you will need to have the head ported and flowed.

davey red.r

yes he will benefit on 264s for road use,
but race cams ,i wasnt convinced he would see any difference ,unless his spec was a monster race spec,

but i aint gona argue with you uncle bob as your a mechanic and im just a daft scaffolder:lol: :lol:

davey;-)

P

pulsarboby

wrong davey im just an hairy assed mechanic:lol: and your a high flying tube erector:lol:

seriously though there will be big gains with cams as your altering the duration of the valves opening & closing hence more fuel in and gases quicker out, but as i said you need the headwork done to get the best from them, and the bigger the lift / duration the lumpier the idle will be.

when i fitted my 278 pipers there was a huge difference in power and torque right through the rev range, but then again i had all the head work done too.

azboy

as a road car stick with standard cams or mild hks one's as and mad cams will slow u down full stop unless ur going for top speed lol, my mate drag stripped bikes his standard bike was faster then the next group up with cams and bigger carbs which he fitted, peak power means nothing as a road car constant power minimal lag ull beat almost anything, having more bhp in just the last 1000 rpm sounds good but when u change up the gain has gone, fair enough with a closr ratio rb box then cams would be ok but the standard tall gearing its really not worth it

P

pulsarboby

have to completely disagree with you there aron, if the cams are setup correctly and headworks done they make a colossal difference

bikes are completely different as there high revving engines and no weight in them.
made a huge difference to my car anyway, from 3k right the way through.

to get basic porting and gasflow your looking at around £350-400 but theres good and bad people that do this work. ive seen some horrendous porting jobs.
the people that are good are generally booked up well over a month in advance, i had to wait 2 months before the guy i used could fit mine in
if you do decide you want it done then pm me and il give you his number, hes based nr heathrow and is an x f1 engineer he does a lot of race and drag cars, this is the best time of year to get work done as come end of feb-march they are extremely busy with the coming race season!

davey red.r

hks cams are a popular mod on the road going r,
good upgrade mate, and next time your clutch is out ,
if you can afford throw a good lightweight flywheel in,
toda are a good quality flywheel ,it will set you back 2 to 3hundred tho,
as regards to your rolling road ,id go for it then at least you know your cars running to its peak peformance,which can only be good,

regards
davey;-)

davey red.r

johnsy said:
alright fella i went and seen him last week had a good look round and did a compression test advised me to get wheels aligned asap new disc and pads alround and rubber,then im gonna save up for sum race cams . im about 700kms into me runnin in cant wait to open it up
what was the results of your compression test?
you have just had a rebuild havent you?

davey;-)