ring gaps...

Don't think the cause of my oil burning is my rings then; gapped my top ring at 24thou and the second at 26thou..... all new valve stem oil seals so must be turbo... ie. the most expensive part lol

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
When are you getting smoke?

Rings might be cheap, but unless you do them yourself, I'd imagine the labour is alot more than a turbo.

On the overrun mate, only downhill on the overrun when I re-apply throttle I get a puff of blue/white smoke. I have done a leak down test and compression test; both were fine. I have replaced the valve stem seals and while i was there i checked valves for excessive play.....again, fine.
Turbo was brand new but I have a feeling i have damaged seals by having a shit oil return pipe. It's just so hard to get a downhill feed back to sump as turbo outlet is nearly level with sump. Makes sense why its only a problem going down hill really....

When are you getting smoke?

Rings might be cheap, but unless you do them yourself, I'd imagine the labour is alot more than a turbo.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Might be worth looking at your breather system, my turbo did it on any over run.
Check your oil isn't over filled.

Well to be honest mate it all started because the breather system. When I built the engine I stupidly thought it would be a good idea to power wash the rocker cover (completely forgetting the breather matrix inside). This obviously left a lot of moisture in there and prevented engine from breathing properly which probably prevented oil from leaving standard tubby. I have a new breather setup now that seems pretty good, but still smoking. The car smokes when i boot it for the first time after having been pottering round....but its only a puff of smoke and goes away then. Subsequent heavy foot action doesnt appear to create any smoke, unless i go down some hills and potter around again lol. Seems like oil is collecting somewhere then when i floor it, it comes out.

Supposed to be phoning Ed soon to get my car re-mapped but whats the point when its using so much oil :(

P

pulsarboby

its a hard one to call this, it is possible that the seals could have over pressurised in the tubby if oil was not able to flow back to block freely (seen that before)

is there any damage to the compresser wheel or have you double checked for any play?
other possibility is worn valve guides allowing valve stems to move around therefore making the seals leak due to being elongated when valves are opening and closing.

try the elbow first (tubby) then check with the breather system plumbed in correctly to see if that makes a difference

No turbo seems fine mate in terms of play... there is a bit but there was when it was new as it's a bb turbo i suppose?

Yes my next call is to replace the oil drain and try to get that right then go from there. Hopefully this will solve the problem once and for all. I just hope it isn't too late.