replacing coilover top bolt

boucherie

fitted my coilovers again after having a leaky shock replaced and i somehow managed to totally bugger up the thread on one of the top bolts. I have got a spare set of suspension in the shed so should i be able to tap out the damaged one and pull a new one in its place?

Granite-GTiR

A similar thing happened to me on my G-Force coilovers, but with mine the stud snapped. I took the coilover back off the car and managed to get the remainder of the stud out of the topmount by putting the topmount in a vice with a long 19mm socket over the stud head (i.e. the underside of the topmount). By doing the vice up, the stud was pushed out of the topmount and into the socket. I replaced the stud using the same method but with the 19mm socket on the top face of the topmount.

boucherie

did you use a standard length stud or did you purchase a stud of the same length, if so where did you get it from! cheers ian

Granite-GTiR

I looked around for ages trying to find a similar stud to replace it but couldn't find anything. In the end i got in contact with Impulse Performance who recondition and are the main uk dealers for the D2 coilovers(G-Force and D2 are identical and i couldn't find anywhere that reconditioned the G-Force). They managed to get a replacement from D2 and sent it to me for free:thumbsup: . They were a MASSIVE help. But for a temporary fix, an M8 nut and bolt of the same length will should hold it untill you find something more permanent.