Removing Inlet Manifold

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I was trying to pull the inlet manifold off to get at the hoses underneath, but I seem to have got stuck.

I've pulled off the injector harness and disconnected the pipework from my intercooler.
I've taken all the nuts (and one bolt) off the studs.
I've taken out the strut brace.
I've disconnected the TPS harness.
I've undone the brackets holding hoses across the top of the plenum (power steering and vacuum to the brake servo?).

I think the problem is just hoses on the bottom of the manifold. - I've got one off and I'm sorely tempted to start cutting the rest.
How many have I got to remove (and where)?

Once I've done that it can just be man-handled out?

I've got a picture of the back of my engine from when it was out... but it doesn't really help me since it wasn't taken at a useful angle:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've got a load of rear engine shots, I'll post them up later when I'm in. Hopefully they'll be off use?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I've been trying to undo everything so that I can lift it out, but assuming my hose kit is complete I can afford to cut the old ones.

Will it pull off the studs cleanly or does the plenum cover need to come off first?

I wasn't planning to, but I might have a go at simplifying the under-side; just to make it easier to reinstall.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you can remove most of what you need you should be able to get the manifold off the studs and then work out what's left keeping it in place.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can definitely pull it off the head, but I can't quite clear the studs at the moment. - I assume that's because there are hoses connected underneath... but I can't see which ones need to come off before it will come out, and which can be changed once it's on the floor.

bfc10

image.jpg

Hopefully this helps George, just cut the thin coolant hoses and then don't put the new ones on after, just block the inlet and outlets off it makes future removal a lot easier and you don't have coolant pissing out everywhere.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes! - Stop dicking with the obvious hoses I can see because they come with the manifold, and cut those two attached to the air box.

I'll have another go at it... as soon as the frost clears.

MarkTurbo

There is a couple wiring connectors on the idle control valve if you haven't already removed them?

I always leave the cold start valve on the back of the engine and just undo the pipes going to it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It's snowing here, so I've given up on this for the weekend... maybe I'll get something done during the week, but I think I'm going to run out of light.

shroom

Wimp I spent the whole day outside finishing of replacing my turbo and re fitting everything, got it all up and going and even had a good little 20 mile test drive before it went dark. The weather just ensures you dont fanny around and get the job done quickly and efficiently lol.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It only took me a week, but the manifold is now out. - All I need to do now is find all the nuts and washer that I've dropped down the back of the engine... and one of the injector clips. :shock:

Whilst it's in the shed, I thought it might be worth taking the plenum top off and giving everything a good clean. - There's a bit of oily residue around No 1 port, but other that that the manifold looks clean and the butterflies look like they're sealing.
A little bit of damage where someone has been trying to lever the flange away from the head, but I've got a new gasket to go in so that shouldn't be an issue.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The manifold in back in, and I gave the engine a quick run with tap water; I couldn't see any leaks, so I've dumped it and refilled with coolant.

My idle seems to be a bit rough; maybe slightly lower than it used to be. I've also lost an injector retaining clip and one of the nuts off the underside of the manifold fell where I can't find it.

Whilst I was crawling on the ground I realised my exhaust it blowing at both ends. - The reason my backbox is hanging low seems to be that it's not welded to the rest of the pipework any more.

One step forward, two steps back...

When I said I'd put the plenum through the dishwasher to clean it, I wasn't joking:

I didn't put the manifold through the dishwasher, but I did clean the gasket making surface:

I'll put it back on the floor and drive it now, and if it doesn't leak the next job will be to change the oil and plugs.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Good work George

Love the photo of the plenum in the dishwasher...did it actually make any difference?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Marginally cleaner, but I could probably have done a better job on the outside if I'd used some steel wool. - I was mostly trying to make sure all the metal grindings were gone.