Relays

A

Anonymous

After 4 months of fault finding, i am still having dramas with getting my aircon to work. :x

I have exhausted nearly all possibilities, including sending the ECU to Sydney to get tested.

However i noticed this afternoon whilst looking at the wiring that i only have 3 relays under the dash to the left of the fuses, and a 4th space where a relay should be but there isn't one - just the socket for it! :shock: There is 12 volt present when the ignition is on both on the coil side and contact side.

Does anyone know what the 4th (bottom) relay is for?

Thanx,
Kevin.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Where's the space for the 4th relay? I've just had alook in my fuesbox and there's no spare and only 3 relays.

BenD

there is a socket for a 4th relay, as ive just checked.

But im sure the relay for the air-con is in one of the fuse boxes under the bonnet, which are usually green relays!

Ben

A

Anonymous

There is definitely a 4th socket there for a relay, and it is wired and has power present at it.

I checked on a mates R and he has the 4th relay installed. He also has a sunroof as well, which i don't, so i don't know if that has anything to do with it?

The main relay for the aircon is under the bonnet with the thermo fan relay and a few others, but i was unsure if there was another relay that is used for switching when the car is on, - to only allow certain things to operate whilst the car was actually running.

I will try and get a hold of a spare relay and plug it in to see if it makes a difference.

A

Anonymous

So Ben you have no 4th relay, only the socket?
And you have climate control?
do You have a sunroof?

lol sorry for all the Q's :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
stick_canberra said:
The spare socket is below the 3rd relay.
Well if your 3 realys are like my blue ones, I don't have a spare socket, but I do have aircon (not climate control)

A

Anonymous

The relays in your photo above look identical to mine,( with exeption of the 4th socket below the 3rd relay), but i have more fuses than you do, including the 2 at the bottom that are missing on yours and the one about 1/2 way up on the right bank.

Obviously with different year models and features some cars are different than others.

J

jasegould

I take it the pump doesnt run when the aircon is switched on?? Have u checked the clutch and pressure switches??

BenD

stick_canberra said:
So Ben you have no 4th relay, only the socket?
And you have climate control?
do You have a sunroof?

lol sorry for all the Q's :)
I have air con that works fine, but my roof is 100% kit kat wrapper, no sunroof :wink:

Ben

A

Anonymous

Make sure your pump engages when you put the blue switch on.Should click in through small spade connector on the A/C pump if its charged. Put it on recirc arrow and cold here in the UK we ususaly rip it out you lucky AUS person.....Any jobs out there??? im freezing :wink:

A

Anonymous

Heh STE it is comming on winter here, soon it will be struggling to get to 10 degC during the day!

So far everything has checked out OK with the system itself:
It has been retro'ed for the newer type refridgerant,
The aircon button comes on OK
There is voltage both on the coil and contact sides of the relay under the bonnet.
The dual pressure switch is working fine.
If i short the relay the clutch engages as does the F.I.C.S, but the thermo fans do not come on.
Natrad, (the aircon guys), have told me that there is a signal from the thermistor at the ECU, and also a signal at the ECU from the compressor relay, and also from the thermo fans - which work normally when the engine gets warm, but wont come on for the aircon.

I am going to have a closer look at the wiring today and see if anything has been missed.

Kevin.

I have had the ECU tested and it is OK as well, so they are saying it is probably a grounding problem.

I am going to get the shits with it soon and just re-wire a relay to bypass the ECU altogether, but i am going to let Natrad have another crack at it, as they are only charging me when they actually change something and not so much for looking.

A

Anonymous

I have not checked the actual aircon button as such, but it does light up and the inside blower fan changes speed, and a signal can be seen at the thermistor when it is on.

I suppose anything is possible, so i might look into that whilst i am re-checking the wiring.

Kevin.