rear of engine water hose problems

woolley

ive noticed that there is a small amount of water coming from the rear of the engine u can also hear the hissing whats the best way about approaching this hose as its apperntly very hard to gain access , any tip would help plz

Gaz gtiR

i had the same problem on mine... inlet manifold off im affraid :doh: its about 4 hours to get it off & 3 to get back on when i did mine... :roll: theres about 4 hoses down there & u can get to all of them when the inlet is off.

p.s. replace them all while inlet is off coz it will be a pisser if 1 go's again. :evil::doh:

olliecast

whilst its off mate sort out the plumbing too.
i used a longer piece of hose on the rear to help with inlet removal (can lift it off before removing all the pipes).

also i removed the throttle body balancing nipples and tapped the holes and thread locked bolts in (added pcv blocking plug also).

just removes more sources for leaks

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If you have small arms (and lots of patience) you can do it from underneath... it's a royal PITA, but it's possible if you don't want to take the inlet manifold off.

nathan

Just whip it off get a few different 12mm spanners to allow different angles I also lengthened the wires on the two plugs so it's easier to get back on

woolley

so whats the best option removing the inlet or from underneath ? as ive only had the car aweek and nt that clued up on these atall

P

pulsarboby

i did explain it to you the other day when you phoned:doh:

why post on the other site then phone me to ask then post the same question on this site when countless people have already explained how to do it:roll:

woolley

Well ive done this to gather some more imformation .. As ive never had one before and aint willing just to rush into somthing as u can see , so getting a few opinion as some say remove engine , some say inlet and others from under the car . .

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yes, there are a few ways you can do it. - How much effort do you want to go to?
Changing the hoses is a piece of piss if the engine is out, but getting it out is a pain in the arse.
Taking the inlet manifold off will give you a lot of room to see what you're doing... but then you need to take the inlet manifold off.
You can reach the hose from underneath (or round the sides), but you'll be on your back for a while trying to get the old ones out and the new ones in. - This time of year it can be a bit cold and wet for that kind of thing (and I'm not talking about the water which will be dripping on you from the engine either).

So if you've got an engine hoist, just take the engine out. If you've got access to ramps or a pit, you might be able to do it from underneath with no real problems... but if it's sitting in your drive with all the original brackets on; consider taking the inlet manifold out.

darkyGTI-R

Take the plenom and throttle bodies off if the Y bracket is still on it's a bitch to get off,mine had the same problem it was the big hose leaking that was all changed then it was the small turbo water feed pipe that was the new problem,having said that someone has said they can change the hoses with the throttle bodies in situ but i'm guessing that is still a bitch of a job,mine was hissing also especially when you boot it, off boost it doesn't leak as much!

Last edited:
when i had this problem i dropped whole engine and replaced lots of bits whilst i was there...... I rekon dropping the engine is easier than farting around removing inlet manifold in situe. I can drop my engine fairly quickly now (having done it twice). I never had any luck trying to remove inlet plenum in situe.... or things like knock sensors and pipes. Perhaps i'm just shit.... lol