rear diff

Spikey

The normal Diff is a Viscous style which is ok i guess. But its not a true lsd and after 60k the plates wear out and it acts more like an open Diff which is bad :doh:

red reading

The normal Diff is a Viscous style which is ok i guess. But its not a true lsd and after 60k the plates wear out and it acts more like an open Diff which is bad :doh:
And where have you got these pearls of wisdom then? because it is utter b0ll0cks!

Last edited:

red reading

yes they will, they loose there fluid from over heating....you soon see the black silicon in the oil, they then either go very free and open or become partially locked and become noisey on slow speed turns...they cannot totally seize as the plates inside them would need to weld together to do that and they do not actually have any pressure on them to be able to contact and heat seize in that way

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
yes they will, they loose there fluid from over heating....you soon see the black silicon in the oil, they then either go very free and open or become partially locked and become noisey on slow speed turns...they cannot totally seize as the plates inside them would need to weld together to do that and they do not actually have any pressure on them to be able to contact and heat seize in that way
When they become open, how does that effect the driving characteristics of the car?

For example will the back step out when down shifting in wet conditions like mine can do, or will there be other tell tell signs to watch out for?

Since the whole dam car is stripped out its pretty noisy in there already and I don't notice any further additional noise when turning.

I'm trying to work out as it was last serviced in 2008, how long should that oil really last for and how often should it really be changed?

red reading

you would notice the car would under steer less under brakeing if the diff was open in the wet and more than likely spin only one rear wheel and one front under acceleration which would make the car move all over the show as it would be 2 wheel drive effectivley, and if it is locked you would hear it banging and cracking under low speed manovers...it is bloody noisey!

vpulsar

you would notice the car would under steer less under brakeing if the diff was open in the wet and more than likely spin only one rear wheel and one front under acceleration which would make the car move all over the show as it would be 2 wheel drive effectivley, and if it is locked you would hear it banging and cracking under low speed manovers...it is bloody noisey!

If they do by chance wear out can they be rebuilt ?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member

For example will the back step out when down shifting in wet conditions like mine can do, or will there be other tell tell signs to watch out for?
The back of mine steps-out occasionally; usually on a roundabout, but I assumed it was a combination of lift-off (accelerate off the line onto the roundabout, then turn in... and catch the oversteer) and my fiddling with the bushes etc to stiffen the rear.

It's not especially noisy, but if I light it up in the wet it does a funny wiggle; I just assumed that was everything locking due to one wheel loosing all traction.

I'm going to assume mine's OK, but I don't know when (if ever) the diff oil was last changed. - The previous owner claimed to have done it at some point, but he also told me it had a Nismo paddle clutch.

red reading

The back of mine steps-out occasionally; usually on a roundabout, but I assumed it was a combination of lift-off (accelerate off the line onto the roundabout, then turn in... and catch the oversteer) and my fiddling with the bushes etc to stiffen the rear.

It's not especially noisy, but if I light it up in the wet it does a funny wiggle; I just assumed that was everything locking due to one wheel loosing all traction.

I'm going to assume mine's OK, but I don't know when (if ever) the diff oil was last changed. - The previous owner claimed to have done it at some point, but he also told me it had a Nismo paddle clutch.
yours is working fine

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
It feels like the rear wheels locks when I down a gear (in the wet) and the rear momentary steps out...