re-shim

i hve had my head re-shimmed with the old camms but now have a set of hks 264 cams will i need to reshimm again or can they go in without having o re-shim again and also would i need stronger valve springs.

thanks
:? :roll:

GTIR-LOZ

you dont need stronger springs but you will need a reshim i reckon best to check them first though

has anyone ot a pic of this home made tool used to reshim without taking the cams out or has anyone thought of making this tool so it can benefit other people who are a bit of a diy:doh:

smoked

i did mine by measuring the gaps with feelers and just loosening the cam caps enough to get the shims out. quiet as a mouse

smoked

no need to compress them just undo the cam caps evenly and slowly being careful not to loosen them too much

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
navzaffar@tiscali.co.uk said:
:der: :der: just wondering when people install new cams in there car do hey take out the cam chain tensioner or is it left in
thanks
you'll have to remove it to slacken the chain.

Once removed you'll see a small clip on the side of the tensioner, compress the tensioner and hold it together with the clip. When you've swapped over the cams, put the tensioner back in, bolt it up tight and flip the clip with a long screw driver to engage the end of the tensioner onto the chain.

P

pulsarboby

it will in time but you should always release the clip manually or the engine could be running with the chain slopping about for some time which in turn will stretch the chain.

as for the cam caps torque setting i believe its 20nm but dont use that setting;-) just tighten them up tight with a 3/8 ratchet if you feel the bolts are starting to stretch then stop as they can easily snap. unless there new bolts then dont use the 20nm setting, you should know when there tight enough!

thanks for all your advice i put the cams in have got all the sizes, i see people have used the feeler gauage cut to size and i presume no-one has had any problems , so i need 2x 0.10mm and also 2x 0.15mm will be glad to pay for them if anyone is willing to cut them for me please,

much appreciated thanks

P

pulsarboby

send me your details and il cut you some with my joggler, make sure there pushed in correctly though and flat.