Radiator fans

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Hopefully someone knows this without having to look it up (I can't find it at the moment).

It's quite hot: 100 degrees when the car isn't moving, 95 degrees if you're doing less than 50mph, and 105 degrees when you're doing more than 50mph; or something like that. - Hot enough that I've only seen my fans turning a handful of times; I thought they were broken until I opened the bonnet and saw them spinning-down on a hot day.

I think Ed has pointed-out that if you've got a speedo delimiter fitted that changes the speed the ECU sees (so the 180kmh limit becomes 180mph), that will cause the ECU to not adjust when the fans come on... so you'd need to do 80mph before it changes. - I'm not sure if that still applies to converters that don't delimit the car (which is what I've got) because the ECU can clearly see the real road speed.

111mattin111

Cheers for that mate I thought mine were broke but just haven't got up to that sort of temp, didn't think it would be that hot before they came on, I'm going to uprate the fans anyway so will wire in a switch at the same time

cheers buddy

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Mine seem to kick in at 95 when in slow moving traffic and stationary. Never had them kick in on the move.
Is that from the manual George? I know there's a diagram in there somewhere of when they come on.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think I got it from the manual, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. - There's definitely a diagram that shows you when they should kick-in and what modifies it (like running the air-con makes them come on earlier).

I remember Ed posting about the ECU and the speeds, but whether I've got the right temperature with the right speed, I don't know.