'R' Oil Consumption

Dazzf

Just wondered on average how often u guys have to check and top up ur oil. I've had mine for about 4 months or so now and am finding that if i drive my car sensibly i hardly have to touch it. However if i've been giving it some stick on a regular basis then after about a week or so i have to top it up. It doesnt seem to use a massive amount. (goes from bang on the full mark to about 2-3mm under in just over a week if driving hard). There is now smoke coming from the exhaust, and theres no signs of oil in my garage where the car is parked overnight. Is this normal??

Cheers

Dazz

P

Phil_d74

:) When driving older cars hard I think it can be expected to burn some oil, however the more it is burning the more likely the engine is to be getting a little tired :!:

Maybe worth doing a compression test to check each cylinder :?:

Doesn't sound like to much of a problem currently, just keep checking the levels after giving it a thrash :wink:

Dazzf

Mmm interesting. I have noticed there is a leak around the seal in the sump, but there are no oil patches in the garage. Think i'll get it booked in the garage and get them to take a good look over it just to be on the safe side.

Cris

Dazzf said:
I have noticed there is a leak around the seal in the sump.
Gods man - sea based mammals and root vegatables have no place in a performance car :!:

Get rid of them now :wink:

MarkTurbo

Dazzf said:
It doesnt seem to use a massive amount. goes from bang on the full mark to about 2-3mm under in just over a week
Mine used to do exactly the same thing :?

I cured it by fitting an oil catch tank/breather system.

You'll probably find theres a thin layer of oil inside your intercooler and boost hoses too.

Dazzf

Markturbo - i take it by oil catch tank u mean the one u get with the forge intercooler setup?? If so i have that system on my car. It was on the car when i got it. Could there be a blockage of some kind that is stopping it from working properly??

Dazz