G

GODZUKI

DOES ANYONE ELSES R DRINK ALOT OF COOLANT
LIKE I TOP UP MY COOLANT AND 2-3WEEKS LATER
I'AM BELOW MIN AGAIN .........CAN'T SEE A LEAK

ANYONE.............. :cry:

J

J-GTi-R

Have you checked under the oil cap for mayonaisse? Also check under the radiator for similar deposits (both signs of a knackered head gasket).

However, if there are no signs of a blown head gasket, look very closely at the hoses. Often they may have small cracks or splits that only leak coolant when the car is up to operating temp (and the coolant system is under full pressure). Because of the heat, any coolant leaking out tends to evaporate before you spot it. It might be worth replacing all the coolant hoses, as a precautionary step, as it could end in a rebuilt if left.

G

GODZUKI

OK.....NOW YOU GOT ME FRECKED......... :shock:

HOW MUCH TO REPLACE WITH SAMCO........

RGDS
KALVIN

A

AZ STE

Where you top up is an expansion tank so the level can alter depending on the temperature of the coolant when you look at it.As long as its right to the top when you undo your radiator cap when cool check a few times should be ok but if its falling here then you might have a problem.Top left hand side ofthe engine is the water pump there is a small hole underneath which drips water if seals gone worth checking

nickg123

Agree with what the others said.......

Coolant isn't something and Engine will drink remember - all it can do is Leak out as it's just in a closed circuit so doesn't have anywhere to go apart from round and round.

If you're losing coolant - you've got a leak, simple as that.

Get it up on a ramp mate, leave it running as mine used to do this - you'll only spot it when the car's running at full temp, and as i said you need to see if from underneath ideally - there's loads of coolant hoses around the back of the engine which are impossible to see/reach.

C

charlie

As said above, it must be a leak, it's just a question of where....

If you try everything and still dont find it, it could be head gasket leaking from water jacket leaking into combustion chamber... also my mates cossie has a blown head gasket, but thats leaking water out the side :shock:

Can you smell a sweet sort of maple syrup smell in or around the engine bay. Might help you find the leak

J

J-GTi-R

Where you top up is an expansion tank
You should really top the coolant up in the radiator, I have seen on a couple of cars the expansion tank still half full, but the radiator almost caompletely empty. Make sure it's done when the car is cold though, the coolant system gets pretty highly pressurised (plus pouring cold collant into a hot engine is not a good idea).

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
nickg123 said:
Coolant isn't something and Engine will drink remember - all it can do is Leak out as it's just in a closed circuit so doesn't have anywhere to go apart from round and round.

If you're losing coolant - you've got a leak, simple as that.

If your head gasket is leaking it can appear to drink coolant as it can goes into the cylinder and out of the exhaust. So you see no signs of a leak in the engine bay as such.

G

GODZUKI

IF I DO HAVE A LEAK OR HEAD GASKET PROBLEM
WILL I NOTICE IN THE WAY THE R DRIVES.......

WILL ASK PTS TO HAVE A LOOK..... :(

J

J-GTi-R

If it's a slight leak from the headgasket then no. Once is gets really bad you will start getting condesation from the exhaust and you'll usually drop a cylinder (so it'll run on three cylinders). Mayonaisse under the oil cap will give it away straight off if it's a head gasket.

If it's a leak from a hose, it could do that forever and you'd not notice a problem (as long as you kept it topped up).

You have PM about PTS!

G

GODZUKI

CAN'T SEE ANY CREAM......... :)

SO IN JAN I WILL GET ALL THE HOSE REPLACED WITH NEW ONES
AND MAYBE NEW RAD WHILE I'AM THERE YOU KNOW :roll:

CHEERS
KALVIN

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah sounds like you're safe from that one. To be honest a standard engine is pretty strong so you'd have to have done serious amount of abuse to have problems.

Keep a beady eye on the temp gauge though, if a hose gives up and you don't notice it could be a dead engine too late.

A

Anonymous

You may want to check the coolant line that goes to the stock oil cooler (near oil filter). I had to change a little rubber hose on that line just recently, absolute prick of a thing to get too.. had to drop the front pipe to change a cooling hose!!

Cheers, Ian.

R

rsnissan

The R sometimes looses water out of the overflow bottle if the system is not blead properly. Are you sure its not the water pump?? check for leaks when the car is off..............place a big peice of cardboard under the car and check it in the morning if you can....................and hope it doesnt rain overnight. It could also be the rad cap.............check under the bonnet directly above the cap to see if any coolant is on the underside.

Also be careful if you are topping up the coolent system continiously with water while trying to diagnose the problem as you will dilute the anti freeze thats in there over time. Althought its not been very cold yet it would be an idea to put some more anti freeze in every now and again to brink the consistancy of anti freeze back up.

I have had ths prob recently and it was simple, just needed to tighten the bottom rad hose up as I watched it leaking slowly and texted by leaving a canister under front of the car over night to see what came out, If the probs not fully solved (as tightened this today) then Samco's it is i guess..