Purchased Pulsar - Headgasket gone?

retepetsir

Hi all,

I wasn't having much luck last week :roll:

I purchased a Pulsar on Thursday after checking it over, 67k miles on the clock, modified but ran well on the test drive, etc. Needs the rear arches sorted but I was prepared for this. The car was MOT'd the day before and passed without advisories. HPI all clear, etc, etc.

However, after insuring it and taxing it to drive home (200 miles, maybe a little adventurous), set out on my journey and drove carefully, no boost used.....50 miles down the M6 (70mph) and the oil temp begins to rise. Oil pressure/water temp are fine at this time.

Pull over into services immediately on noticing the problem and let the engine cool down to try again.

One more attempt, and after 2 miles the oil temp rises again and water temp now increases. Pull over one more time and decide this time to call breakdown recovery for a slow trip back home. At this point I can only laugh, but I'm not too happy!

On opening the bonnet for the second time it looks like the radiator has split at the top, possibly due to excess pressure (possibly HG failure?). Breakdown man topped it up with water as I started the car and it just came out the top split seam.

Signs point to a failure of the headgasket but I'm now dreading to think what I might discover on taking the engine apart. It wasn't under high load or boost when the failure started to occur.

The oil seemed ok when checked originally before the sale and then again when it started to get too hot.

So what's the best course of action?

On recommendations of suitable parts I was hoping to order a new radiator and headgasket in preperation.

I'm hopefully getting a friend to take the engine apart next week.

I'd appreciate any pointers/suggestions/tips. I just hope it can be saved and isn't a total loss. The internals are forged and I have a folder full of receipts for all of the work done to the car.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Surely the radiator cap should vent before the pressure gets so high that it splits the radiator.

Are you sure it's not a radiator/coolant failure; the oil is cooled by an exhanger on the back of the block so if the coolant isn't going anywhere (or can't release the pressure) the temperature will build.

Do you have mayo in the coolant or in the oil? - If so I think you're right; it's a head off job. If not, I'd check what it's like with a new (or repaired) radiator first.

You don't have a reciept for a Cometic head gasket do you?

nitrosgti-r

change the oil and filter, get a new rad (dont forget to bleed it on refill) and see how you get on? What was the oil pressure doin as it sounds like oil pump if the oil was gettin too hot? Check the thermostat? Remember to do the simple things first BEFORE ripping the engine apart ;)

retepetsir

Thanks for your replies, appreciate them. I've never had such a failure on my previous cars which is why I needed the advice.

I was thinking that about the radiator cap. Water was certainly lost as some could be seen over the engine and engine bay, which is where it could be 'just' the radiator, causing lack of engine cooling and therefore oil temp rise, or something more serious.

I found no evidence of Mayo in the cap or milkshake like oil consistency. Yes I should certainly look at simple things first!

I'll check the receipts for that make of HG but I hope not, I've read bad things about them!

The oil pressure seemed fine throughout, I was keeping a constant eye on all the dials.

I'll order a new radiator and all the stuff for a full service, and start off with the radiator and thermostat. Any particular recommendations for the best rad?

Thanks again for the help.

shroom

I'll check the receipts for that make of HG but I hope not, I've read bad things about them!

I'll order a new radiator and all the stuff for a full service, and start off with the radiator and thermostat. Any particular recommendations for the best rad?

Thanks again for the help.
Sounds like you have been having fun, :) always the nightmare for something to go wrong after you have drove away with it.

if you want to just try and get it working a second had rad of someone like Pulsar boby or simular would be your best bet, the sunny ones are slighly larger? or so I thought so maybe one of those if you can get your hands on it,

it always worries me when people say I have a folder full of
Receipts

P

pulsarboby

you need to carry out a sniffer test and cylinder leakage test really to see what and if any damage has been caused.

the rads are a common problem with regard to splitting on the top tanks, but i dont think we have any good s/h ones available at the moment but i can give you a number of a company that supplies new ones rather than paying the huge nissan price

its harsh luck when youve just purchased the car, but these things can happen with a 20 year old car so its luck of the draw really....as said reciepts mean booger all

retepetsir

Receipts can mean booger all with something like this as you say, but at least I have proof of the services, etc and what has already been replaced. Looks like the original rad though but will check later.

Jimmy, if you've got a spare good rad then I'll take it. Otherwise the number for the company who supplies new ones would be great.

Think I will start off with the rad first and hope that goes somewhere. I would like to think that no other damage has been done, the car hasn't been driven since. I didn't want to even attempt to limp it home.

My bank balance may not like it!

Cheers

LOU ROB

It'll be the rad, happened to me. The plastic end tanks split and leak the water out and causes the cooling system to lose pressure, resulting in higher oil temps.
If you stoped the car in time before the temps got too high, the head gasket should be fine.

retepetsir

Thanks. The oil temps rose first which is what surprised me. Then the water temp followed. I'll get a replacement radiator ordered and then keep my fingers crossed!

retepetsir

Do I? I don't see it!

Definitely interested if it's in good condition though. :)

How much is an alloy rad out of interest?

retepetsir

Right, I've been offered a UK spec radiator which is double the thickness of the import one and has copper end tanks. What are the chances of it fitting with a FMIC? Am I likely to run into problems? I'll take some measurements later if possible.