Prop-Shaft Mount needed

D

deslynam

Can anyone tell me the part numbers for the prop-shaft mount(s)? :?:

I need at least 1 new one, maybe more. Local Nissan parts desk aren't being very helpful and I can hardly drive the car with it in its current state :(

I'm told that there are 3 mounts, so part numbers for all/any of them would be appreciated. :)

* Placed in non-members gen. section incase non-paid up people know, as the car the car needs all help it can get at the mo :cry:

Keira

whats wrong with it ?

you'd be better off buying a complete 2nd hand prop shaft tbh, the bearings sit inside rubber strips, i guess thats what you think are the mounts, the actual mounts that bolt it up to the car are just bent metal strips iirc theres only 2 and not alot can go wrong with them.

someone thats broken their car should still have one

D

deslynam

hmmm.

Well the garage that're working on it had to order one of 3 mounts (as they called them), I can't remember exactly how he described them, sorry.

The prop shaft is in 2 parts isn't it? Well the front one pivots as expected with the engine under load, etc, but the rear section isn't held in place correctly anymore so it just flaps about as the front one moves relative to it.

This translates into lots of clunking from the transmission tunnel and causes me to have to drive more carefully than Miss Daisy's driver! :(

Keira

basically you have a front and rear bearing, at these 2 points are the mounts, made up of 2 pieces that bolt it to the underside of the car, at either end you obviously have it bolted up to the transfer box and rear diff.

the bearings can and do give up the ghost, which would probably show itself as vibration, other than that theres only the cv joint that can fook up, this would show itself as a clunking same as on a driveshaft, in all honesty a 2nd hand prop is probably the better option, you can get them for £50 and can swap them easily in under an hour

the prop is 3 sections but you're not supposed to take it apart :oops:

abyss

i have a spare propshaft or the mounts if you need them. I took my prop off because i was told it was fucked turns out to be a drivers side front hub.

D

deslynam

Cheers for the extra info DW, I've not been able to have a look under the car while it's up on ramps and all this 4wd is new to me ;)

I'll try and get more detailed info from them then before I've pulled out all my hair in annoyance!

Abyss - how much, when, delivery cost, etc. Plus, where are you based?
If I decide I want it, i'd like it asap ya' see. ;)

Oh and why on Earth does the naughty word filter change f_laps to something else - seems a tad extreme! :roll:

D

deslynam

dammit

Nissan now want a stupid amount of money for each of the 2 mounts/bushes that I need for the prop-shaft. :x

Can anyone on here supply me with some, or a prop-shaft itself , ASAP?
Second hand is fine if not new...

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Re: dammit

deslynam said:
Nissan now want a stupid amount of money for each of the 2 mounts/bushes that I need for the prop-shaft. :x

Can anyone on here supply me with some, or a prop-shaft itself , ASAP?
Second hand is fine if not new...
I have a feeling they're trying to shaft you mate, listen to Kieron he's right it can't be the mounts it must be he bearings. Don't let them tell you they've replaced the mounts only to find......................."well I never, the bearings must need replacing as well", then your faced with a massive invoice which should only be half that amount.

D

deslynam

Having re-read it, it is the bushes that're dead (I remember being told that much), and figured that since they probably don't fail very often that's why they're not in stock in the UK and aren't a common part, hence high price.

Am resorting to a replacement 2nd hand propshaft, just need to get one with all the bits on it that I need.
So if anyone has anything that'd be useful (have PMd Abyss again, waiting to hear back)... ;)

D

deslynam

the 2 ones in the middle of the prop shaft, around the middle of it, I think.

Dooie Pop Pop

deisel weasel said:
basically you have a front and rear bearing, at these 2 points are the mounts, made up of 2 pieces that bolt it to the underside of the car, at either end you obviously have it bolted up to the transfer box and rear diff.

the bearings can and do give up the ghost, which would probably show itself as vibration, other than that theres only the cv joint that can oh no up, this would show itself as a clunking same as on a driveshaft, in all honesty a 2nd hand prop is probably the better option, you can get them for £50 and can swap them easily in under an hour

the prop is 3 sections but you're not supposed to take it apart :oops:
no bushes there