Prada Spec 2 'V' Eagle F1

GTiRlover

My car failed its MOT today needing 4 new tyres:eek:! I have 4 205/40/17 Toyo Proxy T1S's on the car at the moment and don't rate them that highly to be honest, especially in wet conditions. I'd like a tyre that offers better grip in both wet and dry conditions.

I have searched through previous threads and the Goodyear Eagle F1 seems to have good reviews by many of you. I have also been told that Yokohama Prada Spec 2's are a good tyre... The F1's are about £20 more each corner than the Prada's going by prices on blackcircles. Can anybody pass comment as to whether the price difference is warranted?

Any feedback is appreciated, oh and if you know of a competitively priced online tyre supplier then I am all ears!! I have tried mytyres and blackcicrles.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

GTiRlover

I forgot to add, the F1's only seem to be available in the size 215/40/17. Would the increase in width over the 205's be very noticeable?

Thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd check the clearance between your current tyres and the suspension. Some people have trouble fitting wider tyres. I haven't tho. 225/40s and 215/35s have fitted fine, but my wheels have about a 35mm offset.

The extra width wouldn't be very noticable.

both tyres ive had and both are terrible in the wet but you can have high performance in wet and dry otherwise F1 cars would use that method!

GTiRlover

m40rcd- thanks for your reply. Do they grip well in the wet and dry? How fast is the wear rate?

Fast Guy- thats a good point about checking the distance between my current tyres and the suspension! Could be an expensive mistake if they rub or simply don't fit! You say the extra grip wouldn't be very noticeale, I presume you mean with reference to grip. Would the car feel any slower when turning?

EssexAaron- it what sense were both of the tyres terrible?

youngsyp

I use a 215 wide tyre on a 35mm offset rim and have never had issues with rubbing.

I currently use Toyo T1-R's and they are way better than the Yokohama AVS Sports I had previously, in all conditions but, I haven't had T1-S tyres before to compare.

However, in every tyre test I've ever read, the Goodyear Eagle F1's have won. They seem to be the ultimate all round tyre.

Paul20

i have eagle f1's on my rims, the profile are 205/40/17. they are far better in both wet and dry conditions compared to my old tyres, but they were only cheap budget tyres. i have just ordered 2 more but there is a back log of them at goodyear at the min

neil240z

my mate owns a tyre garage and has an e-bay shop, He will do the Parada Spec 2 215/40/17 for £60 each plus post and they are excellent tyres I just fitted two to my brothers wifes MX5 yesterday. The eagle F1 is a very good tyre but wears quick and is more expensive.

Neil

m40rcD

I have no complaints with the paradas at all in the dry or wet, and the car does alot of mileage on smaller windier roads

With respects to wear they have only been on the car six months, my brother however has the same tyres, and without knowing his exact mileage he says they are the best he has ever bought. Tread pattern is stunning too

Last edited:

GTiRlover

Thanks for the replies guys!

youngsyp- I believe the T1R's are an updated version of the T1S's and for that reason I would like to try another tyre. Although it is good to hear that they perform better than the AVS Sports, a tyre I thought were supposed to be up there with the Eagle F1's... I would like to try a 215 width tyre but the fronts of my 205's already rub on the inner arches over harch bumps...

Paul20- another in favour of the Eagles, good to hear:D

neil240z- what is your mates shop called? How much will he do a 205/40/17 Prada Spec 2 for?

GTiRlover

m40rcd- I agree with you about the tread pattern- the Prada of the tyre fashion world, if you'll excuse the pun:lol: The best tyre he has ever bought is praise indeed. The Prada's are a lot cheaper than the Eagles so I have to admit I am swaying toward them...

Any more opinions or tyre suggestions very welcome!:D

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Every car forum has a tyre thread and on every thread people reccomend the Eagle F1 (GSD3). I have had these in the past and they are a fantastic tyre in all conditions. I also have had the Toyo T1R ans T1S. The T1R is a far better tyre than the T1S and I would higly reccomend the toyo. However on track the toyo sidewall wears quickly.

I need new tyres soon and can't make my mind up between the F1 and T1R but know it will be one or the other . . . the F1 for the edge on performance of the Toyo for the cheaper price :noidea:

neil240z

GTiRlover said:
Thanks for the replies guys!

youngsyp- I believe the T1R's are an updated version of the T1S's and for that reason I would like to try another tyre. Although it is good to hear that they perform better than the AVS Sports, a tyre I thought were supposed to be up there with the Eagle F1's... I would like to try a 215 width tyre but the fronts of my 205's already rub on the inner arches over harch bumps...

Paul20- another in favour of the Eagles, good to hear:D

neil240z- what is your mates shop called? How much will he do a 205/40/17 Prada Spec 2 for?
its an e-bay shop but he has a garage in Macc where he trades from.

we have a guy coming from London for the free fitting service on friday! only worth it if your having 4 or more!

anway the info you asked for.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/205-40-17-YOK...69184580QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9891QQcmdZViewItem

regards

Neil

GTiRlover

A little update: I went with the Parada's. They worked out to be £140 cheaper than the F1's before fitting! I'll try the F1's next time around:D

As of yet I have only done a few miles scrubbing them in but they feel more precise than the Toyo's and already offer good levels of grip. I'll post up a progress report after I have done some more miles with them.

Thanks again for all the replies:D

youngsyp

GTiRlover said:
As of yet I have only done a few miles scrubbing them in but they feel more precise than the Toyo's and already offer good levels of grip. I'll post up a progress report after I have done some more miles with them.

Thanks again for all the replies:D
It might be worth posting up any chassis mods you've performed, as well as alignment settings too.

That might help owners make a more informed decision on tyre choice in the future. ;-)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

at the very least the tyre pressures, some tyres might work well at 36psi whilst for others its at 32psi.

GTiRlover

My car is lowered approx 335mm at the front and 340mm at the back- centre of the wheel to arch gap on Tein Super Streets with the front wheels tracked to parallel and the rear to -1mm toe in with the tyres currently at 34 psi all round.

The car already feels as though it has more grip than the T1S's I had before. The steering feels as though it has got slightly heavier and more direct with the Parada's. I am not sure if this is because the side walls are supposed to be a lot stiffer or if it is because I had the front anti-roll bar mountings welded back to the floor area... Either way the car feels a lot more controlled than before. The Parada's don't seem to squeel as much as the T1S's. Also when they do begin to lose grip it is very progressively with plenty of warning. I haven't really played around with the tyre pressures yet but it will be interesting to see what differences it makes to grip...