Power steering

dobby

With my Modena front diff and the added castor I gave my car the steering wheel is now pretty hard to turn. As there are many cars with the same engine like the primera for instance. Does anyone think I could use the pump off the primera and put it on the gtir to increase the power?

I have already been told to get stronger arms.

Cheers

Mark

ian c

the steering wheel is now pretty hard to turn
in what instance, parking or all the time?
If parking, it can be rectified by increasing pump relief pressure....
If 'all the time', then it's going to be a little trickier!

ian

dobby

Its all the time. The wheel wants to be central all the time so you are fighting it to make it turn.

ian c

Its all the time. The wheel wants to be central all the time so you are fighting it to make it turn.
unfortunately you're struggling then.
Force at the steering rack is determined by only three things:

Hydraulic
Pressure of the fluid in the cylinder (dictated by the rotary valve)
Cross sectional area of the cylinder

Mechanical
Input by the driver

As you are saying it's too heavy, you need to change one of the hydraulic items, which essentially means fitting a new steering gear from a car with a higher front axle weight.

Last edited:

dobby

Ok cheers for the comments. Fast Guy, have you done the castor mod by turning the coilover topmounts? This is what probably makes the steering the heaviest.

stumo

Ok cheers for the comments. Fast Guy, have you done the castor mod by turning the coilover topmounts? This is what probably makes the steering the heaviest.
been there, done that, discussed it with Jim before he did it:roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member

Nope, I'm thinking of doing it tho.

I have the modena and the whiteline kit which is supposed to add a degree or 2.