Power steering belt tensioning

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Could someone let me know the official way to set the tension on the power steering belt. I want to confirm that I've done it right and not done it completely wrong. For some reason it's in the engine manual that I have on back order.
If anyone feels like scanning that part of the manual and e-mailing it to me, even better. :wink:

gtirpulsar

Looking at the belts... slightly to the left(about an inch) you should see a hex head nut prolly 15mm socket needed (look in the area 45 degrees down to horizontal/bulkhead)... long time since I looked at it... it will be obvious which way tightens the belt (hopefully)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is there a figure for so many mm deflection of the belt at a certain point between either the p/s pulley and water pump pulley or between the p/s pulley and the crank pulley.

J

jasegould

I know there is supposed to be a proper setting but usually a good guide is if you can just about turn the belt through 90 degrees it should be ok. Some manufacturers actually give this as setting in their manuals.
J

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What I settled on was doing it up abit from loose and if it didn't squeal/slip I'll leave it at that. Seems to be ok for now, I'll just keep an eye(or ear) on it. :wink: Pretty sure I had it on too tight at first.