Poors men wide arch body kit

Trip

I had some spare time to try a set i had.

this is a pic with wheel compressed. Lots of rubbing

Although the wheel arches i had are 45mm wide, i only gained around 12mm but if i trim the lip off these, I can gain roughly 22mm.

wheels are 16x8 ET35 and using 18mm spacer. Tyres 225-45R16 R888, with lots of camber.

Spikey

or how about you cut into the wheel arch and then shape em to your demands. Weld em tight then bolt on your arch extensions ;) That's how it should be done. Or you could just cut the edge away then bold on your arches that's the cheaper version ;)

Trip

Ideally you shape the existing arches from sheet metal but that require skill labour which i do not possess. These are cheaper and i am not after looks. Function is my main concern.

The edge of the original mudguard will be cut away otherwise it defets the whole scope to have these wide arches.

Spikey

But they do look awesome and if i not had a wide arch kit i would of put them on my self.

P

pulsarboby

you could have ground a lump off round the arches ev then you would have had more clearance.
this is what i did when i fitted my wide arch kit to our old car, think i took off around 25-30mm....downside is that should you ever want to sell the car (as i did) or break it then the shell is useless as once the kits removed all the under panels have been cut away lol

Trip

you could have ground a lump off round the arches ev then you would have had more clearance.
this is what i did when i fitted my wide arch kit to our old car, think i took off around 25-30mm....downside is that should you ever want to sell the car (as i did) or break it then the shell is useless as once the kits removed all the under panels have been cut away lol

I will remove the extra piece from the original arches which is hanging (hidden) behind the new fibre arches. Is that what you mean bob ?

These fibre arches also have a lip around 20mm.. I will shave off at least 10mm from it to give me even more clearance.

P

pulsarboby

yep thats the bit im talking about. its heartbreaking doing this though, i hate cutting lumps off good shells you dont mind if theres rot there but in the end the grinder gets frustrated if you dont spin it up so it always wins:lol:

Trip

this is roughly the part i will shop off

My shell is already whored from every angle. I really do not mind putting the grinder to it :) . I will have to give it some undercoat to hide the bare metal from rust though.

P

pulsarboby

thats not too bad then if its got rot there anyway.
once youve cut through the skins then pull them together, clamp them then tack weld them then get some seam sealer or similar then paint them to keep the mud and crap out.
by doing this it will aid rigidity and stop ingress of dirt and water plus it will give you a better clearance than leaving inner skin hanging loose

P

pulsarboby

just make sure you cut the inner skin around 10mm lower than the outer skin (or visa versa) this then allows you to fold it over and tack it or youll have a job near the ends getting the two to meet up if you know what i mean

Trip

Bob, i think you are refering to the rear arches. Those in pic are the front. I will do the rears soon and i'll follow your advise thanks. :)

Rears arches need to be fitted with the same gap as the front so i would have an identical reference point when adjusting ride height.