Plenum original gaskets or silicon ?

youngsyp

Now I have a new Knock sensor, I need to fit it and have decided to go in from the top.
So, the plenum (rear part) will have to come off, and maybe the full plenum. What I wanted to know is, when you guys have done it, do you use an original paper gasket when you reassemble ? Or, some silicon gasket ?

If you use an original gasket, can you re-use the one on there ? I understand this will depend on its condition but, what sort of state are the usually in when the plenum is taken apart ?

If you use a new original gasket, is the only source Nissan ?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

MarkTurbo

youngsyp said:
do you use an original paper gasket when you reassemble
Its not a paper gasket, its metal ;-)

youngsyp said:
If you use an original gasket, can you re-use the one on there ?
I have many times (as long as its still in good condition) but ive also reused my HKS headgasket a few times too so dont listen to me :lol:

youngsyp

MarkTurbo said:
Its not a paper gasket, its metal ;-)
Thanks for the info mate.

And to lead on from that....... Is that the gasket between the plenum and the throttle bodies ? And/or the one between the two plenum pieces ?

Cheers

Paul

MarkTurbo

All 3 gaskets used on the plenum are metal with a black plastic type coating on them ;-)

Ive never had a problem with using them again, im sure half the time people just replace thengs for the sake of it :der: :lol:

youngsyp

GTIR-LOZ said:
would it not be easier from the bottom as it sits at the bottom of the engine
Only if you remove a number of parts and have Mr Tickle arms and eyes and several wobbly joints for your ratchet !

And the sensor sits about 1/3 the way from the bottom of the engine, from what I've seen.

The engines not very deep and, I can polish the insides of the plenum when it's off and get rid of that 'Y' bracket. ;-)

Paul

Last edited:

youngsyp

pulsarmark said:
It's not that hard i changed mine from the bottom, Without removing anything!
Your real name isn't Harry Potter is it ? As you must have used magic to change it. The 'Y' bracket will stop you getting to the knock sensor !

I've looked at mine and I can tell you, it's going to be a pain in the **** to do from the bottom. That's why I'm going in from the top !

Paul

Last edited:

youngsyp

pulsarmark said:
Paul less of the "smart **** comments" I don't have the dreaded Y bracket still on my R, If you had the sense to remove yours I would welcome you to come up to my place and i could change your knock sensor without removing fook all.

Regards

Harry :rapture:
Oh wind it in and get a sense of humour.

If you had the sense to think before you posted, I wouldn't need to make vaguely amusing comments.

I haven't removed the 'Y bracket as I hadn't needed to until now. And that certainly won't come out through the bottom of the engine bay, without removing anything else, now will it ?!
If I didn't have the 'Y' bracket, I'm sure I could remove the knock sensor without removing any other component too.
I also have a 3" downpipe so unless you have twiglet arms, I'd like to see you get round that without removing it.

Anyway, I want to polish the plenum internals and delete the throttle body heater at the same time......

Paul

youngsyp

Odin said:
As you know a leopard can't change it's spots Paul :doh: :roll: .

I'm afraid a sense of humour or indeed common sense is a rare commodity on the GTIROC at the moment :cry: .

Rob
As you say mate, it's becoming more and more apparent and tiresome.

As are the words of 'wisdom' when the full facts aren't know.

Still, at least we're not at work. :lol:

Paul

youngsyp

pulsarmark said:
Who said i don't have a sense of humor, It's you asking the fukwit questions, why would you want to use the old gasket?? They are only a couple of quid and you being a cheapskate will only reflect on your car!

As for you rob i would expect something a bit more hardcore than a4se licking, I was more thinking that you would just delete the whole thread!

Regards

Stretch arm strong
And what a vast vocabulary you have too.....

You may want to look back at some of your questions asked and wanted ads, before you start throwing acqusations at others. ;-)

Paul

Last edited:

azboy

u dont need to remove the y bracket just undo it a pull back thats what i did, on firmandans car we pulled the y bracket out by the bov side to change the rear coolant pipes and never refitted it lol but u dont need to remove it changing the det sensor just take the down pipe off and the oil filter gives u more room and slid the y bracket back its not as hard as people say better on a ramp though

Last edited:

youngsyp

pulsarmark said:
If you weren't using all you brain power to give a fook about vocabulary, You might just be smart enough to change your det sensor without having all these problems.

Using large words doesn't mean you not a fukwit! And look azboy managed to change his det sensor without removing anything he must be triple jointed aswell!
I think you need to take a chill pill. :lol:

I'm not having any trouble removing the sensor.

Look at the parts that azboy had to remove to get at his.....

And I'm going to do a few other things around the back of the engine, when I change the knock sensor.

If you had of read what I've written though, you'd have known that. ;-)

Paul

youngsyp

pulsarmark said:
I read the whole thread word for word and it was you that started getting out your pram by questioning my ability to remove the det sensor without removing anything else.
You must live a very sheltered life, if you think an off the cuff comment like the one I made was me "getting out of my pram".
And, you couldn't remove the det sensor, if the 'Y' bracket was there, could you ?!

pulsarmark said:
If you such a clever grown up fooker then why do you bother to reply to my immature posts????
Because I'm bored and you entertain me !

pulsarmark said:
So stop being a numpty twat and pull your head out of your own ****.
You sound like a 12 year old in the playground ! :lol:

Paul

T

Timo

Its easy enough from underneath just undo the bolts on the y bracket so you can push it back and get you hand/arm in to bolt the new knock sensor in.

found it easy and im a amiture

Oh and dont remove the y bracket and leave it off the car its there for a reason

youngsyp

Timo said:
Oh and dont remove the y bracket and leave it off the car its there for a reason
It's there for two reasons actually...... To add weight and get in the way of any work you need to do on the back of the engine. ;-)

It's about as much use as the EGR system so, will be going on my car.

Paul

T

Timo

it takes the stress of the head the Throttle Bodies And Plenum aint exactly light. so it basicly hold props them up

youngsyp

Timo said:
it takes the stress of the head the Throttle Bodies And Plenum aint exactly light. so it basicly hold props them up
It's actually there to support the top mounted intercooler. As you can remove the 'Y' bracket and still do this, I and many others don't feel the need for it.
Plus, the cast alloy plenum and throttle bodies are very well fixed to the head and the head is very well fixed to the block. It needs to be, to not be blown off, when the combustion process happens.
Bottom line is that the throttle bodies and head aren't and won't go anywhere, with or without the 'Y' bracket. ;-)

Paul

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Paul,

I've had my intake manifold of loads of times now. I maybe had a problem with reusing the gasket one when I was first getting into the R so I don't take the risk nowadays. I say maybe as I was lsoing boost and the only obvious culprit was the leaky head.

Its about £6 quid from Nissan so to my mind its a consumable.
I would seriously recomend tidying up the back of the engine though as it makes the thing so much more maintainable.

Cheers,
Jim