Pinking?

S

Sunny Nutter

Now I know pinking can be the start of alot of bad news, but I only noticed it today in traffic when she is under load at ~ 2500rpm....i.e. just coming on boost!
Is pinking that 'metallicy' tappety sound that you can hear under load?
not so much a knocking?
My local garage has stopped selling super unleaded, and this is the first time in AGES that I have had to fill with 95(spit!)RON without any octane booster,
some interesting reading here about the causes of pinking
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=66&h=0&t=64123

but what are your opinions.....is the pinking primarily due to the combination of lower octane fuel and a warm intercooler from sitting in traffic?

As luck would have it, I am booked in with a local tuner tomorrow for a session on the rollers to get a power figure before I start to throw endless amounts of money into her, so fingers crossed!

but I am just looking for your opinions

GINGA

Yeh that noise will be pinking normally only heard under full load, its normally caused by to much ignition advance for the grade of fuel your using.
high intake temps, boost pressure, lean fuelling etc can also cause it.
In your case it just sounds like poor fuel octance.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
2500rpm sounds abit low for pinking. I'd have thought it'd be higher up the rev range when you have full boost? If it is, just take it easy on the loud pedal until you can get some decent fuel in her.

S

Sunny Nutter

cheers guys.....I will give a full report of my session tomorrow

S

Sunny Nutter

:D
I was dead happy with my run yesterday,
once I filled up again with super and bunged some octane booster in to up the rating of the 95RON to pinking stopped :)
running standard boost and only mods being a mongoose & induction cone she put out 238.8bhp @ the fly @ 7000rpm
and 255Nm of torque
I scanned in the sheet if anyone wants to have a look at it,
be warned it 1/2 a meg though!

nice smooth power curve,
how would I go about getting the torque up? :?: