Picture/Info Request : Placement of crossovers in doors.

Trondelond

Just got a 6.5" focal component kit, and I'm wondering where I'm going to put the crossovers. I see that they have been placed behind the doorcards with success, but if anyone has an indication of where they put them in the doors, I'd like to take some of the guesswork out. I really don't want to have the crossovers under the dash, with all the extra wiring I'll have to run to the doors.

Sunny GTi

Good choice Tron, are they the Polyglass of Kevlar series? For ease of wiring you could just put them near the amp and then only run the speaker cables to the doors.

Before you get to mounting the crossovers though, have you test fitted the mids in the doors yet? You may well have accounted for all this, but if not, check the speaker magnet is not so deep that it has to be spaced out from the door, and then check the speaker cone isn't fouling on the door card.

I mention this because iirc, the 130's fit straight in, but its a snug fit. If the 165's need to be 'surgically implanted' into the door, you may have to solve more problems than where to locate the crossovers!

Trondelond

It's the 165A1 kit, so I guess that's kevlar. I wanted something that sounds nice, but since we're talking about a Sunny, there's so much noise that I'm not going to spend silly money on a stereo.
I did measure the depth beforehand, and the car had 6.5" speakers installed when I got it - some obscure italian job. Upon googling, I found a couple of polish and finnish hits. Promising.

But - the screwholes where the 6.5" speakers had been didn't align with the focals, and it looked like a lot of hassle. But my local ICE shop wanted about £130 for the job. So I went back to the garage, got sick of the idea, and just drilled new holes where I needed them. So they're in now (look in my project thread), and the sound great. I'm considering a tiny sub to keep under the seat though.
Currently I'm just using my Alpine headunit, and it's clear that the speakers are heavier to drive than the old ones. But I'm not sure if I'm going to go for an amp as well.

The crossovers went in nicely under the doorcards as well, so I'm happy. ^^