painting your topmount ect..

would painting your topmount matt black increase charge tempretures by keeping the heat in, or reduce them by tranfering heat quicker?

wats you views? i will be testing this with my ACT gauge so i will let you know, i will also be trying a few ther bits to reduce top mount tempretures to let owners no what DOES and DOESNT work.

cheers

Aaron :-D

Braveheart

EssexAaron said:
would painting your topmount matt black increase charge tempretures by keeping the heat in, or reduce them by tranfering heat quicker?

wats you views? i will be testing this with my ACT gauge so i will let you know, i will also be trying a few ther bits to reduce top mount tempretures to let owners no what DOES and DOESNT work.

cheers

Aaron :-D
I'll keep an eye on this thread Aaron... good stuff. :thumbsup:

Trondelond

EssexAaron said:
i wouldnt of thought gloss black would be a good option
I have no idea of what the molecular structure is like in glossy vs matte paint, so I'm not going to go there. :D But - glossy or matte, it'll still be a material that is between the cooler and cold air, so I suppose the idea of it being _thinner_ is good.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Not sure if it would help in a positive way. By adding extra depth to the fins etc it would reduce airflow so I'd of thought it would reduce cooling?

TBH I don't know what the effect would be, but happy for you to find out for us :) lol

Adam L

Isn't the cooler made out of ali for this exact reason... I doubt you'll see any changes.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Since you have a gauge for testing results you could also try the the heat/thermal tape stuff youngsyp put on his and or a heat shield under the intercooler as you would be able to prove any temp changes.

dont worry lads im doing it anyway :)

i will be trying other things as said,

also it might be worth pointing out i have two guages, one after the air filter and one on the inlet

if intercoolers cooled better when black, im sure manufacturers would make them black? Its y heat-sinks etc are just bare metal, if you paint them they will not dissipate the heat as good because your creating a barrier, regardless of colour. I know in general a black car gets hotter than a silver (as an example), but thats down black absorbing the radiant heat energy, and silver relflecting it. Under the bonnet though, it's down to heat conduction surely?? and thus, there should be no benifit.
Thats what i think anyway lol.

youngsyp

Firstly, the black paint would attract/absorb more heat. And depending on whether it had a matt or gloss finish, the effect would be more pronounced.

Secondly, if you paint the intercooler, you'll be insulating it. Now, you could say this is a good thing as, it will help insulate from some of the extra heat it's absorbing, because it's black..... what about the cool airs effect when it goes over the core ?! You'll be reducing this by an amount, dependant on how thick the paint is.

If you want to improve the top mount, get it acid dipped to completely clean it, then get as much of it polished as you can. Then lag the end tanks and make a heat shield to help reduce heat soak.

Paul

Paul