Painting the block

JU5TY

NO NO NO

You should never paint an Alloy block.

An alloy block is very good at dispersing heat, painting it is like trapping the heat in.

A

antilag

loadsa cars dnt run ally blocks though. i will stay outa this one as i dont no the answer but a bita paint ent gonna make a huge difference surely but makesure its light weight paint

JU5TY

Yes you have seen lots of NON alloy blocks painted, i.e. iron etc, which is fine!

NEVER paint an alloy block! Why do you think F1 engines have alloy blocks!

DON’T PAINT IT! Unless you don’t care, alloy is excellent at dispersing heat, painting it may look nice, but will trap the heat in!
Same reason you shouldn’t polish the surface, it is rough so as more dense to help cooling!

A

Anonymous

If you have a look on takaira site under the tomie full engine specs, you will see that some of there engine blocks are painted and some arnt(the sr20one isnt)now as some have just pointed out, alloy blocks shouldnt be painted and there must be definatly good reasons to this, otherwise tomie would have painted the sr20 block like the rest of there engines.
LEAVE IT AS IS AND SPEND THE MONEY ELSEWHERE......
Luke...

J

jasegould

Why do you think F1 engines have alloy blocks!
Because they are lighter than cast iron blocks maybe???

I can see exactly what you are saying...but I dont think you would notice any detrimental effects from painting a block. Most engines on the road are covered in sh ite that would keep more heat in than any paint job would.
Plus alloy doesnt need painting because it doesnt corrode like iron, hence its cheaper for the manufacturers to not paint it.