Painting the block - What do you think

P

PrimeraRacer

ayup

I will be taking the engine out this winter and would like to paint it. I've got a few options on the type of paint (VHT or Block paint)

I was originally thinking of silver to make it look like new but I'm now thinking that black would be cool, I kinda like the idea of hiding the block a little and letting the other things stand otu like the CAM cover and stainless bits.

do you reckon a black block would be cool or would you definately go for a bright colour like silver or red (to match hoses)

Cheers
Kev

JU5TY

An alloy block is very good at dispersing heat, painting it is like trapping the heat in. The surface is also rough making it denser to aid cooling, another reason you shouldn't paint/polish the surface.

P

PrimeraRacer

thanks for that.

I know what your saying about painting it but loads of people do, have donn for years with no probs. I can see engine enamel being an issue maybe as thats like another skin but standard VHT surely wouldnt make a difference!!

on the question in hand....... do you think black would be ok?

P

PrimeraRacer

have done some research on heat issues too and apparently its not the actual block that gets that hot, most of the heat is on the exhaust manifold!

JU5TY

Whatever! So its just the manifold that gets hot???! :wink: I never said it would cause problems, its just a negative mod! Its fine to paint non alloy blocks, which a lot do.

I’m only following my machiner's info who built my whole engine, he knows what he’s talking about... ay Nad! :D

If you want to make your engine look pretty go for it! Have a look at my engine in the member section… :wink: :p

P

PrimeraRacer

you said I shouldnt do it.

I asked what people thought of black not does painting affect the heat dispersal of my block. I've seen plenty of painted SR20 blocks and a layer of VHT paint isnt exactly gonna insulate it to that degree!

look just forget it, I'll just not bother asking another question for fear of "being wrong"

JU5TY

Opps forgot I posted that when I got in last night… :lol:

Yes don’t post again please…haha Just kidding! :wink:

Regardless of the heat debate then… Ive always been a fan of red, but reckon black would look good, but id be tempted towards more of a matt finish than gloss.

P

PrimeraRacer

thanks.

I was thinking Matt black, gloss might be a bit in yer face!

O

Odin

PrimeraRacer said:
look just forget it, I'll just not bother asking another question for fear of "being wrong"
I'll tell you what I think :wink: . I think maybe you shouldn't be so over sensitive :cry: .

rob

P

PrimeraRacer

sorry..... its just hard when all you want is an answer to your question and what you get is somethign totally different.

I've made about 5 posts in the last week that have mostly gone the same way.... It just gets to ya........ most of our own club guys get straight to the point on the NPOC, I guess its a bit different here sometimes!

Cheers Kev :D

O

Odin

Yup there's plenty of fools on hear :shock: :cry: .

As far as painting the block I wouldn't do it myself but if I did I'd go for black :wink: nothing to maxpower.

But if you wanted real maxpower street cred you could allway's get it gold plated like ju5ty's :lol: :lol: .

rob

JU5TY

PrimeraRacer said:
sorry..... its just hard when all you want is an answer to your question and what you get is somethign totally different.
I’d hardly say my response was off topic, didn’t mean to offend…!

vpulsar said:
But if you wanted real maxpower street cred you could allway's get it gold plated like ju5ty's :lol: :lol: .
Or paint the underneath florescent yellow for that max power neon effect…!

G

GTiRich

You could always put on a coat of that new heat sensitive paint that changes colour with varying heat 8) :lol: