Overheating Oil Problem

Gti-R_Dave

I was told that the 3rd line on the standard oil temp gadge is normal running temp and the 5th line (straight up) is too hot. Not sure if thats right? Whats happening is, on any boost, as long as I change gear at 4 thousand revs or less it will stay on the 3rd line for as long as you want, but as soon as i rev over 4 the temp will go from any temp too the 5th line within 2 MILES! I know the gadge must be fairly accurate and that it is hot near the 5th line because the baffel starts buring out the back of the exhaust. Do i have a problem or is that just the way the SR20DET is like at 360bhp without an oil cooler? I know i could just put an oil cooler on and it would probably be fine, but the Speed that the temp goes up makes me think there must be a problem with something.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Gti-R_Dave said:
I know i could just put an oil cooler on and it would probably be fine.
It seems you've answered your own question yourself.

With the amount of performance you have, its going to create a huge amount of energy and heat, that’s why its so hot.

I would have installed one already, I’ve got mine to fit and i'm no where near that kind of power.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you're running 360bhp then it needs an oil cooler as the engine is generating alot more heat than standard.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Oil temps that high within 2mins you should check your coolant level too...

Rishi

stumo

but as soon as i rev over 4 the temp will go from any temp too the 5th line within 2 MILES!
Rishi, i think he means that it up to running temp but will go to the 5th line within 2 miles if he revs it.

Don't forget that approx 20% of heat generated goes into the oil.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Just saying if the Coolant level is low the engine runs hotter and heats the oil up very quickly...

Happened to me in the past when one of my rads sprung a leak...

Rishi