overboosting

Dooie Pop Pop

fitted a newish turbo on thursday and its overboosting regardless wether i leave my boost controller off or try and use it to limit boost :?

its hitting .7 straight away 8) but as i apply more throttle the boost level starts to creep up, not quickly but it shows no sign of slowing.
bit worrying because im not sure if i can run 1bar :roll: my inj will be pretty much maxed btw so dont take the p155 :lol:

have done the searches and this guys problem is pretty much the same
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=27678&highlight=overboosting

am gonna go and check the pipework for leaks now, just wondered if it could be anything else :mrgreen:

cheers, stu

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Did it come with it's own actuator or did you reuse the old one? Either way it could be worth checking what pressure the actuator is operating at.
It may even be a weak actuator that needs replacing.
Failing that if your turbo is a different spec to the old one, it could be more efficient and just making more boost especially at higher revs where your old turbo possibly wasn't holding boost :?:

Dooie Pop Pop

right iv been out and checked everything and all seems to be fine :? the actuators the one that came with the turbo and both a pretty new :? im 90% sure the guy i bought it from said it had a 9psi actuator.
pushed my foot down a bit further when i went out for a test drive and it showed no sign of stopping even after 1.1bar despite the boost controller limiter being set to 1% over stock and a 10% reduction value the boost just carries on climbing :?

stu

GTIR-LOZ

yeah prob the actuator, did you fit it onto the turbo or was it already connected, you have to set the actuator up to whatever pressure you require, if you have put it on yourself maybe its adjusted too high

Dooie Pop Pop

the actuator was already attatched to the turbo mate, iv no idea how it was set up but the car it was on was running up to 1.6 bar iirc. i guess id better find out :lol:

Keira

originally alan had a nightmare iirc with boostcreep on his gt3071, he thought it was becasue of the lengths of silicon boost hose going to the controller, boostcreeping because the turbo spools up so quickly 8) ...think he was using a profec b

pretty sure its a 1bar actuator on them unless ginga changed it..

pm or ring alan and he'll tell you what was what...

Keira

just spoke to al.

Didn't seem to pleased cos him and mike are still fitting the evos engine back in after having trouble shimming up the box :(

original response was

'your talking about pulsar s h it e whilst i'm stuck under here, f o o k off' :lol:

anyways.....he said put an outlet for the hose that goes to the wastegate as near to the turbo as possible,instead of from the manifold, then run it straight to the actautor...

try running off the actuator pressure only first..

Dooie Pop Pop

yeah pauls just confirmed its a one bar actuator problem is its gone too far over that already, he recommended removing the restictor pipe and fitting a straight hose from the acuator to the plenum. guess im not gonna be flooring it for a while then :lol:
will pm alan cheers :wink: he did kindly offer to check my fueling if i was worried when i spoke to him a while ago 8)

edited: cheers kieron :shock: :D thanks for the help :p

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You could try playing with the diammeter of the wastgate hose, as I vaguely remember a cheap mod (years ago) being to fit a longer wastegate hose and it let the boost creep up abit.

Keira

i'd go with an outlet straight after the turbo, a little nipple thingy in the intercooler pipe and put that straight to the actuator like al said,

thats as short as you could get it 8)

Dooie Pop Pop

guess i could get a bit of 2.5" boost hose with a 1/2" side port. the hose' d be about 18" long

what size diameter pipe/nipple would i need?

the turbo is mad though i cant wait to actually get my foot all the way to the floor :lol: you can hear it spinning for ages after you switch off :lol:

Keira

Dooie Pop Pop said:
what size diameter pipe/nipple would i need?
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...D&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-010&Category_Code=GTBB

thats what you want, sure you could get them from somewhere in the uk, get 2 whilst your at it cos i'll need one :wink:

the turbo is mad though i cant wait to actually get my foot all the way to the floor :lol: you can hear it spinning for ages after you switch off :lol:
roller bearings, dont you just love them 8) although i'm still blowing down mine manually :roll: :lol:

i've been far to helpful this evening :roll: :lol:

Dooie Pop Pop

does anyone know where i can find a uk supplier for one of these 'quick taps' that kieron mentioned.

turbo dynamics, turbo technic, potn an demon tweeks all came up blank :(