outhandle by clio= handling

mohsan

ive heard of the white line kit,but i thought some lowering springs and some wider tyres 205s would do the job.this clio absoloutely out manouverd me,i had problems keeping up.
is the whiteline kit a big improvement? Any R owners that recomend this,that have had it done

mattygti-r

:shock: out gunned :roll: yes it makes a MASSIVE difference so im told

even but outhandled u stil lhave hit some boost and reeled him in?

Mr GTiR

V6 Clio's are not that quick unless they have Nos.

but saying that, for a heavy car they handle very well due to being mid engined.

prkwan

i bet the one i raced have nos or big mods to it cos i can bearly keep up and i was running 1.3 bar

skiddusmarkus

Which model Clio was it?Mk1/Mk2?I've got a Mk1 16v and it does outhandle a standard GTiR.The newer ones are meant ot be even better and the 2litre ones have the grunt to match.

A

Anonymous

you need to get yourself some whitline shocks and springs and even a couple of strut braces mate
check out the for sale section :)

Sonnygtir

My missus has a clio. Lowered too. Around sharp slow corners the clio will BATTER my gtir, and that has full whiteline works kit, the lot. Around fast corners the clio feels really twitchy and unsettled.

As for the V6, all I've seen is one going backwards in the rear view quickly. :?

skiddusmarkus

Sonnygtir said:
My missus has a clio. Lowered too. Around sharp slow corners the clio will BATTER my gtir, and that has full whiteline works kit, the lot. Around fast corners the clio feels really twitchy and unsettled.

As for the V6, all I've seen is one going backwards in the rear view quickly. :?
Agreed-on slow corners the Clio is fantastic,on roundabouts and faster ones it does feel a bit twitchy but still doesn't want to understeer like an R does.

mohsan

clio cup

i believe it was a new clio cup aparantly only 172bhp,can be uprated by factory to 200bhp. real quick car.But the handling was somethingelse again. did a little reading up on them and apparantly their handling is suppose to be better then a civic type r if not a match,! and thats a car known for its handling
What do i need to get the handling better,apart from everything.
So far ive put on lowering springs,and bigger tyres. How about a bumpsteer kit?
what about the whitline stuff? Il be sure to get a strut brace they always help

mattygti-r

:roll: give it some boost a few whiteline bits and ur away the clio is v.good im not saying its crap but u should be ok 8)

P

Pulldog

I had a clio 16valve with koni adjustables top and bottom strut braces and poly bushes lowered 60mm all round and it was shit never ever went round a corner was always sliding about.
I think it is shocking that you got out handled by a clio cup i would be gutted!

M

memski

The Clio sports (and esp the lighter cup) are supposed to handle phenomenaly so I'm not suprised.

However :lol: I think an R with sorted suspension (e.g mine :lol: ) would give it a good roasting on the back roads :) :oops:

skiddusmarkus

PULLDOG said:
I had a clio 16valve with koni adjustables top and bottom strut braces and poly bushes lowered 60mm all round and it was s**t never ever went round a corner was always sliding about.
I think it is shocking that you got out handled by a clio cup i would be gutted!
Was that a Mk1?I've bought the lower brace and can't see where it fits on-giz a clue.
If it was sliding about,you probably lowered it too much or had sh**e tyres on cos mine handles ace :D .

P

Pulldog

Ive got some pictures mate of the underneath as i painted and put poly bushes and stuff on, i had toyo proxes not bad tyres on 16" alloys, but it still slid about i thought it was sketchy car i hit a barrier in it.

turblio

Have to say here that I also own a williams 2, dont ever underestimate thier handling our one is like its on rails!
Frank

P

Pulldog

All im saying is that flat out mine was crap the back end was always coming out

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Handling is a subjective quality rather than a science like BHP. A good handling car won't necessarilygo round the corner faster but it will mkae you feel better while it does it. My other car is an MR2 which IMO handles better than the majority of other cars on the market, basically because it is MR and unassisted steering. I drive my mates Type-R a lot. Its a more capable car in every respect but doesn't make you feel the same at the end of a blat. Too playstation for my liking but a fantastic peice of engineering.

Soap Box time: :shock:

If handling were a science, like bhp, its about tyre contact patch and maximising it for the majority of the time.

suspension setup for the wet won't work in the dry and vice versa

If you lowered your car to the max and stick your koni's on full then it will handle like a bag 'o sh*te on anything other than certain racetracks (not all of them) in the dry at high speed.

The only things that will always improve handling are reducing your weight and stiffeneing your chassis. Even stiffer ARB's can make things worse.

The best upgarde you can make to a car's point to point ability is the driver. (Anyone see Tiff Needell go round Anglesey in 61s in a transit van!!)

Get yourself on a track day and you would not believe how much you will be able to out break and out corner other people who have not. Believe it or not there are significantly better drivers than you (and me) out there.

If you want to upgrade your car just for road handling then get strut braces and uprated bushes A maximum of a 40mm drop in springs and get uprated dampers of around 20%. If you get adjustable dampers then you can fine tune the car's balance front and back. Anti dive kits etc are nice extras, coilovers are unecessary unless you are going to get your car setup professionally. But getting your car setup for tracking and camber etc by your local garage would eba good start anyway!!

Rant over.
:roll:
Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Did I mention tyres.....

As above really and more important than you might believe.

..... definately rant over.
Jim