Outer track rod end joint cover

paz

Hi,

I got an advisory on my mot for the above.

My question is what do I need to buy to fix it- is it called an outer cv boot or something like that?

If anyone has the part number I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Paz

GTiR-Aholic

but hold on.. the boots (gaitors) are replaced when torn on the "INNER" track rod arms.. there's no boots on the outer track rod ends.. the ends have those bushes which can't be bought as mentioned above, you have to have the ends replaced... try Euro Car Parts for them if that's what you mean.

paz

And channy is a cock who spouts all kind of shit to try and make himself look like a big man...

That is EXACTLY what got quoted on my advisory "003 nearside outer track rod end joint cover split/missing" so if someone besides channy would be kind enough to tell me what to buy I'll get it.

Cheers

Paz

Tim

I can never remember seeing a joint cover .. unless he means the actual rubber bush has split?

Clarification definatley needed on this!

gtirx2

you just need a new track rod end, you cant buy the boots for them seperate
As above mate,sounds like the rubber boot on the track rod end ball joint has split.
You will have to get a new track rod end for that side then get the cars tracking setup/checked.

GTiR-Aholic

agreed, buy a track rod end from euro's and get it tracked or if you are able to remove the track rod end without moving the tracking nut then you won't need to get tracking done ;)

GTiR-Aholic

nah.. just say you want the outer track rod end for the power steering rack for a Nissan Sunny 1994 2.0 engine.. don't tell them it's a "Pulsar" you'll get raped for your money lol

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
there's no boots on the outer track rod ends...

Yes there is. There's a rubber boot on the ball joint. When it splits grease comes out and you may fail the MOT. On the bumpsteer kit you can buy the boots seperately and so replace them when need be.

paz

Righty, the fella at Nissan couldn't find the part number- can anyone help?

He did mention something about wishing he had "super-chans" mobile number as he'd probably know it off the top of his head... But unfortunately he couldn't find that either :lol:

Nearside track rod end part number anyone?

Cheers

Paz

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Took me 1min to find, so why couldn't he?

48520-60Y25. Different part code, but same part number for both sides.

Looks like it aslo includes a new nut and split pin.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Post back the cost when you have it... it might be that buying new tie-rods ends is cheaper!

antgtir

Its only an advisory. He cant actually fail you for it. The boot (and grease) is there to protect the ball joint. If there is no boot or grease around the ball joint it will just shorten the life of the track rod end, you would probably find that the ball joint would get worn so much that it almost rattles around in the housing.

Its not a major issue but for peace of mind and OCD completeness lol, get it changed. I think i did both mine for under £25 reddies (not including the tracking).

Good luck matey.

Ant.

vss irvine

agreed, buy a track rod end from euro's and get it tracked or if you are able to remove the track rod end without moving the tracking nut then you won't need to get tracking done ;)

you should get the tracking checked ANYTIME you change something that will affect the geometry.

i can supply track rod ends if you get stuck, and dont want to pay nissan prices.