orginal airbox's

boost

Hi all,

i have a aftermarket air filter on my car,after having a good inspection on itim not happy with the size of air filte holes in the material. I think its a HKS filter.

Now if i run a Original air box and k & n filter would you think that it would be a very restrictive.

the only reason why i am asking this is that after spending thousands on engines and turbo i dont want a cheap filter to let small grit particles through..

also are the o.e. boxes able to fit either a q45 or Z32 directly on to them?

if the o.e airboxes arn't restrictive does any body have one for sale?

thanks keith

lakeview

that links been around for years.if the hks was crap do you think most of the big tuning companys around the world would still be using them

rob

geoff pine

If a filter is smaller than the competition, filters more dust than all the others then how come it does not clog up sooner than all the others :lol:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
that links been around for years.if the hks was crap do you think most of the big tuning companys around the world would still be using them

rob

There not used on their cars, units offer big margins and its a brand name that people ask for ;-)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Interesting the cotton filters (and maybe foam too) are supposed to work better when you've got them a little dirty because the pores clog meaning that only the smallest particles could get through them. - I know K&N don't recommend cleaning it all the time; just when you're doing an oil change anyway. The rest of the time it's working fine even though it's gone grey instead of red.

boost

rob

i think people just want the brand name and actually think they must be quality as its HKS but imo there crap..

lakeview

i think people just want the brand name and actually think they must be quality as its HKS but imo there crap..
and your saying k&n is not a brand name too?.my 1st gtir had a hks panel filter in the original airbox,and i had no problems with it at all.i had a k&n filter on my 1st mazda 323 turbo i changed back to mazda own filter as it was better quality in my opinion.
if you worried about quality of filters just go back to nissans own filter and change it every 6 months.for the 2 or 3 bhp filters give youll not notice the difference anyway

rob

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I'd stick with K&N, at least I don't have to replace it often and if I don't then it runs the risk of the filter breaking down and bits of foam being sucked into the engine.

Hmm...
:thumb:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd extend that to include the other cotton filters, but agree. - I think the bad rep for the HKS ones is from people not replacing the element like they're supposed to.