organic clutches

Hi guys I think my clutch is on the way out judging by the smell its giving off. I have been looking at organic clutches and there power ratings to judge which is better.

I've been looking at exedy 280lbs, helix 320lbs and act with most capable power 362lbs but unsure if any come with release bearings. Price wise act is slightly cheaper than the helix. Also only going to be hopefully running 280 or 300hp but has anyone had experiences with the above thanks.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The issue with Exedy is not that they are bad clutches, just that they are the most faked clutch product on the market. - I don't know about ACT, but both Helix and Exedy are made by Deakin.

I've got a Helix in mine:

This is what the previous clutch (which claimsto be Exedy) was like:

Obviously that's a second-hand clutch so it didn't come with a release bearing. - If you do buy one as a kit make sure it is a GTiR bearing and not one for a Silvia since the clutch will probably fit any SR20DET, but the bearing won't.

Yer been told about all the fake exedys and thats a pretty knackered clutch! Each one i've looked at saids they come with gtir release bearing but will check.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What's wrong with the second clutch you selling it, :)
The coverplate is fine (probably), and the release bearing doesn't rattle... I might still have them in the shed. ;-)

I think the problem there was that the slave cylinder had leaked over the friction material which then disintegrated and jammed in the release mechanism.

I see well still more power than a mk2 golf abf hehe

I thought i'd ring up eurocarparts about clutches but they only deal with exedy. Organic is only £220 and stage 2 paddle is £333. I'm guessing with 280-300 i'd be better off with the act clutch.