Orangey Water?

billy187

A mates pulsar has had orangey water in the radiator for a while now, so thought it may have been something to worry about. Just to make sure we flushed the radiator through and refilled it with water again and after running for a few minutes would turn orange again. The car works perfect and has been like this for a while now and i did a compression test which came back perfect at 150psi across all four. Has he got anything to worry about?

Smo

It's because you're putting just water in there - in time it rusts and will result in the radiator being damaged and need replacing. Put some anti-freeze in with it, should sort you out.

red reading

flush it through till it's clear and then fill the car up with the right amount of anti- freeze, the orange is iron oxide aka rust and that is the insides of the engine block,water pump etc corrodeing and it will block the radiator and heater matrix which will bugger the engine...

stumo

it's the foofoo valve, it's located inside the valve cover, it's stuck open and should be replaced.

Not many people know it's there and most think it's just a lack of antifreeze (which is partly to blame but isn't the whole picture), get a good 2nd hand one as new ones are very expensive!

stumo

when i checked about 6 months ago (cos i had the same problem) it was about 300 quid!!!:der:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I just want to clarify, it's a PooPoo valve, seems there must be somthing up with you keyboard Stumo

Trip

done mine around a year ago and it was a pitta to get it replaced. i suggest you do it with engine out.

No, alloy is an alloy..... stainless steel is an example of an alloy so what did he mean? 'Ally' is short for aluminium (or at least it is in engineering where i work)
So when fast guy referred to it as 'alloy'.... that doesn't indicate at all what material... it just means an alloy of metals and could be a whole list of things.
So id say i was more correct :) lol

Last edited:

Trip

Short for Aluminium is AL

Ally is the third-person singular simple present of Allies

Alloy is used to define a non ferrous metal. That is all metals excluding iron. Old engines were made of iron. Newer blocks are made of an alloy

oh whatever... :)