Oil temp opinions....

wrc

Afternoon chaps,

Installed my low temp thermostat this weeend nice low temps now, bloc still nice and hot though obviously.

My one single concern is my oil temp, its now running 70-75 deg (my guage is tested and accurate) - where as before it was 80-90. Obviously we are at our low of our ambient temps at the mo, so this is the coldest it will run and will obviously increase slightly with seasons - but am I ok running like this?

I run 5w 50 fully. 87mm rebore, JE's, stoc turbo.

Cheers guys.

MarkTurbo

I wouldn't want to be driving around with my oil that cold, thats not even upto operating temperature. Why put a low temp stat in when there was nothing wrong with your oil temps in the first place :lol:

red reading

IF the car is a road car you will never get off the cold start map in the ecu at that lower temp....not good

Yer sod that mate, I had a NISMO stat in mine and the oil temp hardly moved.....probably the reason I had big end failure eventually.

Fusion Ed

Agree. Occasionally i get this on the dyno where the cars are still in the warm up area of the map. its a PITA.

paz

What's the standard/optimal operating temp of oil, and what does the warm up map do to economy?

Cheers

Paz

Fusion Ed

Oil between 80-90 is good.

Warm up affects all sorts, if its too cold the lambda sensor feedback won't even be operational. Like all things too cold is as bad as too hot.

paz

Hmmmm, might be my problem then. I'll keep an eye on temps tomorrow. I've got an oil cooler but don't think I've got the thermostatic valve (?) so if memory serves it stays pretty cool.

Nick K

Oh bugger i may have the same problem as his chap above. my oil temp never goes above 72c and my heater temp in the car is a joke. so thinking a new OE thermostat for water temp and thermostatic sandwich plate needed on the oil cooler as its just the normal plate :sad: