oil pump/timing?? Noobie, please help!

Kieran coles

So, Saturday im buying my uncles pulsar, he's had it 20 years and has looked after it, although he had trouble with the oil pump or something, he's quite hard to understand.
He says he had some problem with the oil pump, where someone had done something to it, think when he had his engine rebuild, but basically he's saying it needs the timing sorting to get the oil pump to work properly? Can anyone make sense of this? Also he reckons when the car gets warm the oil stops flowing as if the pump can't pick it up.
Just want to say thanks in advance but I'm in a really sticky situation and don't want to go at it alone, as Google isnt showing up much.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Hopefully someone can make some sense of this, but could it be the water pump?
That's bolted to the front of the block, so if the block is skimmed it can end-up higher and stop the head from sitting flat.
At really high revs there is some talk to cavitation reducing the flow of water around the block, do some people under-dive the pump if their engine is going to spend most of its time at the top of the rev range.

That's not to say it's not the oil pump if he says so, but I'm not sure how it would be timing related; other than there is some trick I've seen for a chevy V8 to prime the oil pump by turning the distributor shaft.

Usually the problem with oil pick-up is that the sump has been dented so there's a high point and the oil drains to the corners; also it's not baffled so you could get starvation on hard cornering. - You've got a gauge for oil pressure in the dash; you will see it go up and down with the revs, but if it's always at the top or bottom then there's a problem... or the gauge is broken (probably the sender).

Jon Olds

Oil system is independent of water, valve movement and spark, so if oil pressure isn't right then is a sump off job minimum. If its run without oil pressure there will be damage
Jon

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
it needs the timing sorting to get the oil pump to work properly? Also he reckons when the car gets warm the oil stops flowing as if the pump can't pick it up.
As mentioned, oil pumps have nothing to do with timing and when oil stops flowing then engine's die pretty quickly.

Check exactly what is wrong with the engine before you buy the car or budget £3000 to fix the engine when you're oil next stops flowing!

As others have assumed, the details might not be correct so just make sure you know what you're getting into before handing over any money.

BMCC

Does your uncle mean that the oil pump is driven off of the timing chain? If that is the case then you will need to get the timing chain inspected before you start the car to make sure all is ok.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Does your uncle mean that the oil pump is driven off of the timing chain? If that is the case then you will need to get the timing chain inspected before you start the car to make sure all is ok.
Ah! - That would make sense; the timing chain needs sorting to the the oil pump working correctly.
Maybe something to do with the tensioner? - Could spell problems for the valve train if the chain has been slipping.

Kieran coles

Yes that makes more sense now. So he basically means the timing needs to be set up, I'm going there tomorrow to pick it up, very cheap and it's got lots done, recent rebuild blah blah. Will post when I get it! Does anyone have a link for how to set up timing?

BMCC

You need to get from your uncle exactly what he means by the timing needs set up. The oil pump will be driven by a belt or chain. I think it is the timing chain which is something i would have inspected by a qualified mechanic.If the timing chain is not correctly set up it could very easily damage the engine should you start it.

Kieran coles

I've done a timing chain before on an mx5, 2 years later still going well. I know what I'm doing to some degree.
I've just picked the car up, he said when the car got hot, the oil light come on. He also said there is markings on the oil pump which need to be lined up, which he hasn't done, im about to start stripping it down, but if anyone has an idea about this oil pump and how to set the markings up that would be great.

P.s I'm getting a mechanic to meet me at home to help point me in the right direction...

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If the oil light comes on when the car is hot, any chance the oil is just too thin?

johnny gtir

Dose he not mean the pointer/ pin on the oil pump is where you set timing with marks on crank pully And a timing light ?

BMCC

To get the ignition timing right you need to get the car up to temp stopthe car then disconnect the tps restart the car and point a timing light down by the pointer on the pulley. There are white marks on the crankpulley. On this you are looking for the pointer and to be stationary on the last white line which will be 20 deg before tdc. The ecu adjusts idle speed by advancing and retarding the ignition timing. Loosen the bolts on the distributor and turn it till you get the ign timing right. There should be a maintenance and repair manual somewhere on the forum to help with this and the timing chains.

Kieran coles

Drained oil out, took the sump off as I seen a lot of sealant so was checking for a blockage. Nothing so far and oil looked pretty thin. I'll be sorting the timing and setting the oil pump up tomorrow with any luck, just need to find a "how to" guide or a manual as I'm a bit iffy on the oil pump. Some guidance would be better than going in blind.

Jon Olds

Oil pump timing????????????????????????????????
Surely not???????????????
An oil pump pumps oil. surely, its pulses can't be 'timed', can they??
Always ready to learn stuff, but cannot fathom this, its like nothing I have heard in 35 years hands on experience
Jon

Kieran coles

Right I put it all together, oil pressure is fine, no lights on dash (yes I checked they're all working on ignition) timing is advanced to the most it could be, so timed it up, there's a tapping/knocking coming from the engine, and car splutters on full throttle. I got a couple hks controller things in the car, one has two nobs and a power button, the other is a digital controller? If someone has whatsapp or iMessage can I please send you a video and pics??

johnny gtir

Send me them if you want but I prob can not repost them in here I useless with shit like that pm me your number and I will txt you mine