oil pressure sending unit

celm

let me start from the beginning and giv ethe problem.
the problem i had w/my R was that when i started the R up it use to have a noisy valve train for the first min, oil pressure problems.the pressure will raise and drop threw out the RPM range.i mean there were a FEW TIMES ON START UP IT SOUNDED LIKE A DIESEL!! Clakking away.

yesturday i did
Changed the oil filter to nissan 15208-53J00
changed the oil pressure sending unit
put castro full synthetic 5W50 oil

Now she purrss like a kitten.no more noisy valve train and no more oil pressure problem.

what i want to know does the oil pressure switch controls oil pressure at all?
what did i do yesturday that corrected the problem?

J

J-GTi-R

It's the oil pump that controls the oil pressure (well it doesn't control it as such, but it creates the pressure). There is a way to uprate it, but it's pretty good anyway, the oil pressure sender is only to read the pressure. The good quality oil will have done the most good. My car goes from sounding like the Royal Artillery are using my valve train as a practice range, to whisper quiet depending on the oil. The semi synth I put in my mates car last week sounded horrible!

The car has hydraulic tensioners for the cam chain, and if the oil is the wrong viscosity it can sometimes take quite a while to pump up the tensioners (they can also lose pressure as the oil thins at high temp), thus the increased noise on startup, as the cam chain isn't tensioned properly and rattling about a bit.

J

J-GTi-R

Yep, the semi syth has made the oil pressure on my mates car go all over the place (drops below 1 when on idle when it's really hot). We're going to change it again this week as it's just crap.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Chances are the sender unit was dodgy and that sorted out your fluctuating probelm. (I'm having a similar problem, so I hope so) Was it the £70 item?
The new oil will probably have sorted out the noises.

celm

i was luck that the place i bought my sender from charged me 1 US dollar :D .cause here in the states those senders are useless

J

J-GTi-R

Chances are the sender unit was dodgy and that sorted out your fluctuating probelm.
Ah, read the post too quickly and missed the replaced sender bit... :oops:

Strangely my mate's car's pressure gauge has been all over the place on the crap oil, he had the same problem on similar crap oil, but it behaved once I forced him to put Magnatec in (he keeps insisting on using rubbish oil :evil: ).